Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green or Gold vs Blue approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Green or Gold vs Blue approval

Hey, I'm new to AMEX and haven't applied before.  Does anyone know which of the three they tend to approve easier?

AMEX Green

AMEX Gold

AMEX Blue 

Also, I've read conflicting information on who they pull both experian and equifax. Didn't know if anyone knew for sure.  I

thanks for your help:

I have past paid collections from 2008

My current cards are:   CreditOne 4500 (oldest account so that's why I keep it open),  Cap One MC 2000, Cap One Quicksilver 1000, Wells Fargo College 300, BrylaneHome 300.   I am currently 29 (don't know if that makes a difference).

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Green or Gold vs Blue approval

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, I'm new to AMEX and haven't applied before.  Does anyone know which of the three they tend to approve easier?

AMEX Green

AMEX Gold

AMEX Blue 

Also, I've read conflicting information on who they pull both experian and equifax. Didn't know if anyone knew for sure.  I

thanks for your help:

I have past paid collections from 2008

My current cards are:   CreditOne 4500 (oldest account so that's why I keep it open),  Cap One MC 2000, Cap One Quicksilver 1000, Wells Fargo College 300, BrylaneHome 300.   I am currently 29 (don't know if that makes a difference).

What are your FICO scores? income?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 7
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

They will more than likely pull EX. Your scores are higher than mine were when I got approved for my two amex cards. Your income probably wont be an issue either.

If the only baddie is a collections from 2008 and you have at least a year with one of your cards (though some have been approved with less) I'd say you have good chances of getting in.

The charge cards are said to be easier to be approved for and they all have the same UW criteria. If you're going for a charge card, the best one is the PRG (Premier Rewards Gold) for the benefits and signup bonus. The first year AF is waived so after the year you can always downgrade to the Green if you can't justify the AF.

When trying to get in with AMEX I too was worried I wouldn't get approved so I applied for the PRG first, got approved and immediately applied for the EveryDay and also got approved. If you apply for a second card and get denied it should be a SP since you were approved for the first. However, if approved for the second, you'll have two HPs so make sure it's really worth the second pull. I really wanted a charge card and revolver which is why I did both. Make sure you understand fully the cards you're applying for.

Good luck

Message 4 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Always go for the PRG when applying for a charge card. Can always be downgraded after the first year if you dont like the AF, or you can open an everyday card and transfer MR points to it and then close the PRG if you dont want a charge card after that year. 

PRG offers and signup bonus and more ways to earn points with a waived AF the first year. Also, the regular gold card is basically just a green card with a higher AF. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go for the green charge. 

Message 6 of 7
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would go for the green charge. 

Why?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.