cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green

tag
osbranger

AMEX Green

Hi, I'm stil new to credit. AAoA is 7 months. BoA card is oldest at 10 months and AMEX Blue Cash is at  4 months.

All payments on time and I plan on keeping it that way.

I am thinking about getting another card... AMEX Green.

Is AMEX Green worth it?

Thoughts?

Would it be a hard pull? 

Would it kill my score to get another card or should I just keep the 2?

Right now I am 722 FICO.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Green

@osbranger wrote:

Hi, I'm stil new to credit. AAoA is 7 months. BoA card is oldest at 10 months and AMEX Blue Cash is at  4 months.

Is AMEX Green worth it?

Thoughts?

Would it be a hard pull? 

Right now I am 722 FICO.

You'd be better off waiting until January before you pick up another AMEX, due to backdating.   If you're signed into AMEX when you apply, it's typically a HP on EX for approval, but only an SP if not approved.

As for Green, it probably wouldn't be my choice of the charge cards (I'd probably go PRG, at least for the first year, since the AF is waived).  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Think it depends on how much you wanna put on a charge card every month and which charge card will fit your needs and personal spending habits the best. I knew the PRG has pretty good rewards and the AF is waived for the first year and stuff but I didn't feel that card would fit my spending patterns the best since I tend to be pretty conservative with how I use credit cards in general and in the long run, unless I have more income or something like that, I have no interest in paying 175 dollars a year to have a charge card so I didn't see the point at the time.

I already have two revolvers with Amex that are focused much more on rewards anyway. Also if you don't want the PRG and are deciding between the Green and the non PRG Gold, I don't think there's much of a difference between those two cards except in how much you're paying in AF costs and for the Gold, there's a little bit more emphasis on travel features but it's mostly the same thing.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

Think it depends on how much you wanna put on a charge card every month and which charge card will fit your needs and personal spending habits the best. I knew the PRG has pretty good rewards and the AF is waived for the first year and stuff but I didn't feel that card would fit my spending patterns the best since I tend to be pretty conservative with how I use credit cards in general and in the long run, unless I have more income or something like that, I have no interest in paying 175 dollars a year to have a charge card so I didn't see the point at the time.

I already have two revolvers with Amex that are focused much more on rewards anyway. Also if you don't want the PRG and are deciding between the Green and the non PRG Gold, I don't think there's much of a difference between those two cards except in how much you're paying in AF costs and for the Gold, there's a little bit more emphasis on travel features but it's mostly the same thing.

I would say no its not worth it in most instances , the PRG is better if you need charge card since the AF is wavied for first year. If you are looking for any amex that allows for MR points, I would look at ED or EDP. I personally think ED beats the Amex Green in almost everyway, and it doesn't have an AF!!!

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 7
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

What are your reasons for wanting the Green?

Like others have said ED > Green. I only have both because during my app spree I app'd for Green to get my foot in the door, got approved and immediately applied for ED and surprisignly got approved also. After the first year I will more than likely close the Green. I plan to use the ED as I would a Charge card for the extra points.

Message 5 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Interesting guys. I also have the EveryDay card right now and they gave me some really great terms. 15 month 0 APR and 12.99% APR after that on top of being able to get a 20% bonus on rewards if I swipe the card 20 times a month so I've started to use my other cards a lot less now because of that and focusing on paying those down more.

My main reason for having the charge card is that I thought it would be a nice way to be able to charge certain things and not have the purchases affect my overall utilization as well as having it for emergency purposes, that sort of thing and for me, it's still way better than still leaving something like Fingerhut or that Target RED card open and I'm already planning to convert my Delta card into a no AF product once I'm done using all the Skymiles and stuff.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 6 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@osbranger wrote:

Is AMEX Green worth it?

Thoughts?

Would it be a hard pull? 

Right now I am 722 FICO.

You'd be better off waiting until January before you pick up another AMEX, due to backdating.   If you're signed into AMEX when you apply, it's typically a HP on EX for approval, but only an SP if not approved.

As for Green, it probably wouldn't be my choice of the charge cards (I'd probably go PRG, at least for the first year, since the AF is waived).  

+1

that is what I was going to mention... after the first AMEX card, always wait till January if at all possible for best backdating

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.