Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Green

Hi Everyone!

I just got a prescreened offer from AMEX for the green card and I'm wondering what my chances are of getting it.  I currently have two cards that I use each month, a $1500 secured from my CU that I use for some of my larger purchases that I pay off over a couple of months and a crappy Orchard card that I pay off every month.  I'd use the Green card in place of the Orchard card.  Because of Christmas I'm currently at 77% utilization, which will drop considerably next month and my household income is 70k.  My oldest missed payment was over 5 years ago and my score just took a 20 point hit because of my utilization.  

Thanks for your input!

Rob

FICO

EX - 657

Vantage 

TU - 688

EX - 667

EQ - 683

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Green

App ready w/ UTI <30ish IMO.  YMMV.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that if you pay down your util and app, you should be approved. I got this card with a 650ish score.

I believe this card is now being used to target people rebuilding their credit and might be harder to get than the Zync. YMMV.

When so much of the population is trying to recover from the recession, housing drama, etc, there is still lots of money to be made so these banks are sure to lower their standards to try and make money. AMEX purchases on charge cards are a case by case basis, therefore they can protect themselves even more from losing too much money from a defaulter.

Message 3 of 6
FicoTron
Established Contributor

i agree that it would be harder to get than the ZYNC.  The rewards on this card are better.  Although there is an annual fee that is higher ($95 as opposed to $25), if you want good rewards with the ZYNC, you have to purchase the packs to get the points...and I've heard some stories about how the ZYNC's points don't convert the same as the upper tier green, gold, and platinum cards.

I myself am wondering weather to app for the green or ZYNC at the moment.  For a while I was all about the ZYNC, but now I'm torn between that and the green.  The green card can be converted to a higher tier card, the ZYNC cannot!  That is not a good thing for the ZYNC.

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 4 of 6
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1 on the getting utility down to less then 30%.

I personally have both the Zync and Gold products. I got the Zync for the packs (ie.. I have the Connect Pack with dbl points on cable, cell and Internet) and pay all my bills with it. The points convert to MR points because it's tethered to the Gold account. My points awards ,because of the packs, more then pays for the annual fee for both plus I get the benefits of having the Gold. I love Amex. Something to consider... And YMMV.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I just got a prescreened offer from AMEX for the green card and I'm wondering what my chances are of getting it.  I currently have two cards that I use each month, a $1500 secured from my CU that I use for some of my larger purchases that I pay off over a couple of months and a crappy Orchard card that I pay off every month.  I'd use the Green card in place of the Orchard card.  Because of Christmas I'm currently at 77% utilization, which will drop considerably next month and my household income is 70k.  My oldest missed payment was over 5 years ago and my score just took a 20 point hit because of my utilization.  

Thanks for your input!

Rob

FICO

EX - 657

Vantage 

TU - 688

EX - 667

EQ - 683

How is your EX file looking??

If your util. is at 70% you need to get that down to about 6%.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.