Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX HH Offers

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

AMEX HH Offers

175k HHonors with both AMEX cards - expires in 30 days.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/hil/102/hil-011

I have had PRG for 18 months, 680 EX, 13 inq's EX, 4 cards in the past year (all in past 6 months but Citi HH not reporting yet), 6% Util.

The 4k spend won't be a problem due to some med bills.

Can I apply for both cards?  

Odds of approval for both cards?  

Will they honor both bonuses?

It would be better to grab the non AF now and the AF card in 25 days.  Any downside to that?  

Any benefit to apping back to back?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX HH Offers

@elim wrote:

175k HHonors with both AMEX cards - expires in 30 days.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/hil/102/hil-011

I have had PRG for 18 months, 680 EX, 13 inq's EX, 4 cards in the past year (all in past 6 months but Citi HH not reporting yet), 6% Util.

The 4k spend won't be a problem due to some med bills.

Can I apply for both cards?  

Odds of approval for both cards?  

Will they honor both bonuses?

It would be better to grab the non AF now and the AF card in 25 days.  Any downside to that? 

Any benefit to apping back to back?

Those bonuses are enticing, no? I'm considering whether I should close my noAF HHonors to make room for Surpass. Just finished up the Citi 75k points.

I got this sequence last year, after nearly two years with the Delta Gold:

April 22 HHonors

August 12 SPG

October 3 EDP

October 28 PRG

I'm not usually in favor of two-apps-same-day, and since the 100k offer has a known expiration date, my suggestion would be take the no-AF now, get the Surpass just before the offer expires.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

Based on my experiences, though things may have changed recently. 

1.  So long as you're under the 4 revolver aggregate, you can apply for both.

2.  All things being equal, odds or approval are excellent if you space them out.  Once upon a time, 2 revolvers on the same day were ordinary, but no longer.

3.  With once in a lifetime bonus, yes.  They couldn't care less now and will honor them, so long as you clicked on the correct link offer.

4.  App for the Fee (100K) one first.  (1) It's a higher bonus, and (2) on your second app, you can use as a reason, "oh, I didn't realize the first had a fee and wanted the no fee version, in case my first year doesn't justify the fee."  Or, something along those lines.  

I'd try to space them at least 10 days apart.  Ideally, you'd like auto approval and not have to call to get it approved.  You can handle the call anyway you like, but on my last call, I just said, "I was going to fly Delta and the bonus triggered my response to app."  That's my standard answer with Chase/Amex.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Those bonuses are enticing, no? I'm considering whether I should close my noAF HHonors to make room for Surpass. Just finished up the Citi 75k points.

I got this sequence last year, after nearly two years with the Delta Gold:

April 22 HHonors

August 12 SPG

October 3 EDP

October 28 PRG

I'm not usually in favor of two-apps-same-day, and since the 100k offer has a known expiration date, my suggestion would be take the no-AF now, get the Surpass just before the offer expires.

I would absolutely do this, unless there may be an even better offer in the horizon.  Get 100K and enjoy Gold status, assuming you don't already have the Amex Plat.  Also, with Amex possibly losing their SPG to Marriott takeover, they'll focus more benefits and rewards to their Hilton portfolio as a hedge.

So, what they potentially lose on the SPG relationship (assuming they lose it) to Chase, they may try to make up for on their Hilton brand.

Message 4 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

went for the no-AF first...

Your application has been approved.

YOU ARE NOW A
HILTON HHONORSTM CARD MEMBER.

how do I get limit?  should I get card number? or wait foir card in mail?

edit: got card number and temp limit 1k.

Message 5 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

Really want to app for Surpass now, That's the card I will keep out of all 3 HH.

I still have 1k spend to go on Citi HH but I have a lot of bills this quarter (none is for merchandise).

Message 6 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@elim wrote:

Really want to app for Surpass now, That's the card I will keep out of all 3 HH.

I still have 1k spend to go on Citi HH but I have a lot of bills this quarter (none is for merchandise).

Garden for a couple of weeks. Wait til the end of April to app. You have the card number now, so you can start adding a few charges to the AMEX to get warmed up, make a payment, keep building your internal score with AMEX. The spend requirement on the HHonors card can be the next short term focus.

By waiting, there is a possibility you get a slightly higher SL with the Surpass card.

Congratulations on the HHonors card! For a no-AF card, it has the potential to earn quite well. The Citi HHonors card is ok, but just not quite the same earnings as the AMEX.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@elim wrote:

Garden for a couple of weeks. Wait til the end of April to app. You have the card number now, so you can start adding a few charges to the AMEX to get warmed up, make a payment, keep building your internal score with AMEX. The spend requirement on the HHonors card can be the next short term focus.

By waiting, there is a possibility you get a slightly higher SL with the Surpass card.

Congratulations on the HHonors card! For a no-AF card, it has the potential to earn quite well. The Citi HHonors card is ok, but just not quite the same earnings as the AMEX.

thanks... i'm going to burn the citi and no-af amex. just keep the surpass for the 12 ppd and gold. I guess I'll combine amex limits at month 13.

i'm hoping amex approves surpass as i'll have 2 new accounts popping up before then, lol.  well... just one... amex is so slow to report.

Message 8 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@elim wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@elim wrote:

thanks... i'm going to burn the citi and no-af amex. just keep the surpass for the 12 ppd and gold. I guess I'll combine amex limits at month 13.

i'm hoping amex approves surpass as i'll have 2 new accounts popping up before then, lol.  well... just one... amex is so slow to report.

Congrats on your first Hilton approval and you coming one as well..  Very good offers as had me looking, but my AAoA can take anymoreSmiley Happy  Once you are in with Amex and have history with them they hand cards out like candy or at least they do for meSmiley Happy..  Picked up the PRG 50k / 1k spend a few days back..  I have yet to be declined for an Amex card since I have been with them and currently have 5 cards with them, but the Platinum is going good bye here in a few months when it hits a year as the Ritz is overlapped with it at least for me and not enough value where-as the PRG I can use for dining/drinks for 2x, etc..  185k MR's after bonus is met on PRG Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.