Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX HILTON HHONORS APP ITCH

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

AMEX HILTON HHONORS APP ITCH

i am wanting to press the continue button so very much. but i am hesitant because i have not been preapproved for it. has anyone been approved for this card lately and if so what were your scores and incomes at approval. i talk to a rep that specializes in applications and he said based on my history with them and the fact that i have no baddies, it would be very likely for me to be approved. but i promised myself i would wait until july 20th, because i accrued some points with hilton hhonors less than a week ago, and i figure that once my statement cuts on the 12th, that perhaps this would help somehow. perhaps information will clear between hilton and amex, thus resulting in a pre approval.

funny thing is that earlier last month, i was pre approved for the citi hilton hhonors visa signature. and i think i vaguely remember learning that this card requires higher score levels for approval.

should i wait?

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Re: HILTON HHONORS APP ITCH

"perhaps information will clear between hilton and amex, thus resulting in a pre approval" - I would not count on this making a difference.

My experience says this is not terribly difficult to get.  Based on those scores I would say go for it.

Message 2 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

So you have the Citi HHonors (I'm an AU on that) and you're going for the Amex HHonors?  Are you going to keep them both?  Did you press 'continue' yet?  Smiley Very Happy

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 20
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

no. actually, because i have wanted the amex hilton hhonors card for sooo very looong, i actually have not apped for the citi hh visa signature card. i know, some may think that sounds nuts. i am holding back for the amex hh. i have made my decision.

i am going to app for it at 10am on july 6th. cold or pre app, im gonna do it with my fingers crossed.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I scratched that "itch" in January, and was welcomed to Amex with a $2k cl. Take that as you will. Was recently upped to $6k this month with a user initiated cli. They have been nice to me even though I haven't spent nearly as much as any other card I have on this one. Hope my feedback can help. Their customer service is great. Good luck, just do it!!

Message 5 of 20
daylove
Regular Contributor

It does not matter how many Hilton Honors points you have...that is not a factor for being approved or denied.

Message 6 of 20
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

update. my timing is right on cue. but the card tab is flaky. for the first time i am pre approved for blue sky preferred (credit card), and remains through more than one log in session. i am going to wait it out until about 3pm max until the apply tab stops being flaky or i get the hilton hhonors tab. 10am min to 3pm max. as of now i click on the apply for the amex blue sky preferred and i get sorry systems are not responding message.

tomorrows the big day.  :-) oooh. fingers crossed. !!!

Message 7 of 20
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

ok. pre approvals fell off after 3rd login Smiley Surprised)

Message 8 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the preapproval and I wouldn't apply through the Amex site in any event.  Your scores are your scores.  I don't think it matters whether you have a preapproval or not.  A preapproval is some indication that you meet some basic guidelines, but the fact that it falls away on the next login doesn't mean that you no longer meet those guidelines.

Anyway, you should be looking around to make sure you are getting the best bonus offer and that generally isn't through the Amex site.  I've usually seen the best offer when I go to Hilton's site and look at the app there.  I got an e-mail the other day with an offer for up to 62500 bonus points.  I think that's in line with what I've been seeing for a while for this card.  Here is the link:

https://www143.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/ApplicationFormApp.do?partnerId=71&channel=100...

Good luck.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 20
Ron1
Super Contributor

scott:

I think you're good enough to get the card. Most of the time, I applied without any pre-approval. I didn't wait for any pre-approval. They stills hard pull credit report with or without pre-approval. Last week, I accepted a pre-approval for Amex Plum Card business card.  They still pulled EXP for approval.  Last night , they sent me an invitation to upgrade my PR Gold to Amex Platinum. I'm sure they're going to pull EXP again for the upgrade.  I think you shouldn't have any problem to get the card if you have good payment history with Amex.

Ron.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.