Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Hates Me?

tag
CreditScoreBlueprint
New Contributor

AMEX Hates Me?

760 credit score. Zero blemishes on credit report. 8% credit utilization. They deny me a credit limit increase from $3600. Seriously?

I put in a request for $15,000 and they said no to that, and also that there wasn't a lower amount that they could offer either. So now I need to wait another 6 months to apply again right?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Hates Me?

WOW! Thats a lot you are asking for. You are only able to ask 3X your current limit. $15K is more like 4X your current limit. The next time you can ask for another CLI is 6 months.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 23
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Join the club lol they also dont wanna show me love
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 23
CreditScoreBlueprint
New Contributor

@chnceit wrote:
WOW! Thats a lot you are asking for. You are only able to ask 3X your current limit. $15K is more like 4X your current limit. The next time you can ask for another CLI is 6 months.

Well, for comparison... my NFCU card has a limit of $22,000 and my USAA card has a limit of $19,000. And I've been having to make payments on my AMEX 4 times a month just to be able to use it... because $3,600 is absolute crap for my monthly spending (I work for myself and am constantly purchasing things like advertising).

I figured if they didn't want to give me $15,000 that they'd at least come back with a lower offer. But now it looks like I'm stuck at $3,600.

Message 4 of 23
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Well that makes sense. Stop putting business expenses on your AMEX and get a business account. This is a major no no on Amex cards.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 23
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@CreditScoreBlueprint wrote:

Well, for comparison... my NFCU card has a limit of $22,000 and my USAA card has a limit of $19,000.

You know that lender like AMEX also look at your total credit limit with other lenders. Having too much can be a factor for denial. Reason being you can run up charges and default. It is Murphy's law: "if things can go wrong, it will go wrong".

And I've been having to make payments on my AMEX 4 times a month just to be able to use it... because $3,600 is absolute crap for my monthly spending (I work for myself and am constantly purchasing things like advertising).

STOP. AMEX personal card is strictly for personal use. Do NOT put business expenses on your card. AMEX prohibits that practice. Get an AMEX business card instead.

I figured if they didn't want to give me $15,000 that they'd at least come back with a lower offer. But now it looks like I'm stuck at $3,600.

The max you can ask for is 3X, or $10,800.

Message 6 of 23
CreditScoreBlueprint
New Contributor

Interesting. I wasn't aware that you couldn't put business expenses on an AMEX personal card. It's sort of ridiculous, considering they're still making money off you.

What about my NFCU and USAA personal cards. Can I put business expenses on them?

Message 7 of 23
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Interesting. I wasn't aware that you couldn't put business expenses on an AMEX personal card. It's sort of ridiculous, considering they're still making money off you.

What about my NFCU and USAA personal cards. Can I put business expenses on them?

Most personal card prohibits business expenses; you have to read T&C for that. However most lender put a blind eye about that, exception being AMEX. AMEX is known to do adverse action if they find out about business expenses.

It is not ridiculous, since business credit card charges higher swipe fee than personal card. There is also the fact that Congress criticized lenders when they blured the line between personal and business credit card.

Message 8 of 23
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Well, for comparison... my NFCU card has a limit of $22,000 and my USAA card has a limit of $19,000.

You know that lender like AMEX also look at your total credit limit with other lenders. Having too much can be a factor for denial. Reason being you can run up charges and default. It is Murphy's law: "if things can go wrong, it will go wrong".

OP does not have too much available credit.

Here are my stats:

181,050 total credit card limits

+ 40,000 total LOC limits

--------------------------------------------------

= 221,050 total revolving credit limits

CC/LOC                                            LIMIT

American Express Blue Cash Everyday             $17,300
Bank of America Platinum Plus Visa                  $12,500
Chase Freedom Visa Signature                          $18,000
Discover More Card                                                $15,000
JCPenney/GECRB                                                  $5,000
Walmart Discover/GECRB                                    $10,000
Navy Federal nRewards MasterCard                  $25,000
PenFed Visa Gold Card                                         $35,000
PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Card              $15,000
Staples/Citi                                                               $3,250
USAA Rewards World MasterCard                      $10,000
US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature                           $15,000
Navy Federal LOC                                                   $15,000
PenFed LOC                                                            $25,000

Oldest Account Age: 13.4
Average Account Age: 6.8

Message 9 of 23
cutemarty1
Regular Contributor

760 credit score. Zero blemishes on credit report. 8% credit utilization. They deny me a credit limit increase from $3600. Seriously?

I put in a request for $15,000 and they said no to that, and also that there wasn't a lower amount that they could offer either. So now I need to wait another 6 months to apply again right?

You are not alone buddy.

Been denied 3x already for a CLI with AMEX Smiley Sad

My TL : Discover 45k / Venture 39k / BCE AMEX 33k / BoA123 Sig 24k / WF propel 17k/ Home Depot 16.5 K / Barclays Arrival WEMC 15k / Citi World WEMC 16.5k / CU Visa 11k/ Nordstrom Visa 20K / penfed rewards visa 20k / Citi AA 16.5k / spark business 15k/ Chase ink business 15k/ delta Amex platinum 14k/ boa rewards 7k /Macy Store 5.3K / Best buy 2.4K / BBRZ Gold 1.4K / PNC 20k / AppleCard 40k/ citi premier 12.7k / chase Amazon 7k
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.