Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass v. Citi HHonors Reserve

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass v. Citi HHonors Reserve

I was recently approved for the AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass card.  I travel a lot and usually stay in a Hilton owned property, which is why I got the AMEX Hilton and joined Hilton HHonors.  I didn't know anything about Citi's Hilton card.  What is the real difference between the two?  I wish DistantArray was around to tell me the pros and cons of my card and how to maximize my rewards!  He's really good at that!  I like the Priority Pass that goes with the AMEX Hilton Surpass.  Any help is much appreciated!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass v. Citi HHonors Reserve

Major difference - Citi offers HHonors Gold for as long as you hold the card.  Surpass offers it for one year.

Message 2 of 13
LesWH
Established Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

Major difference - Citi offers HHonors Gold for as long as you hold the card.  Surpass offers it for one year.

Wow!! That's a huge difference!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

Message 3 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

That and

* No FTF

* Having EMV (chip + signature)

* 1 free night each year when you spend more than $10,000

Message 4 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

There's a good write up of the benefits of the Reserve card over at View from the Wing.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
LesWH
Established Contributor

I have the Citi AA Amex with a $9500.00 limit.  I wonder if I can PC that into the Citi HHonors card......

Message 6 of 13
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:
There's a good write up of the benefits of the Reserve card over at View from the Wing.

Thanks Walt!

Message 7 of 13
LesWH
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

That and

* No FTF

* Having EMV (chip + signature)

* 1 free night each year when you spend more than $10,000

Wow!! Thanks for the info!

Message 8 of 13
Epcot
Valued Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

I have the Citi AA Amex with a $9500.00 limit.  I wonder if I can PC that into the Citi HHonors card......

I am also interested in knowing the answer.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 9 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Don't PC unless you are extremely inquiry sensitive. You want to get sign up bonuses.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.