cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX, I appreciate your forgiveness.

tag
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX, I appreciate your forgiveness.

just so you know, amex did not charge me interest.   i dont owe as much as you, but its interest free. 

i already made one payment i should be sealing the deal with a second payment then they're sending me an application.

gotta love amex, forwhateverreason

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I had my first AMEX card when I was 20 years old. I didn't know how to manage the card and defaulted on 16K worth of charges. 20 years later, I applied for an AMEX Green. Even though I never paid back the 16k, they approved me and a few months later, they upgraded me to a Gold card. I've averaged 20k per month on my card since being back with AMEX. My accountant was all over me because I keep using my personal card for business expenses. He suggested that I get a business charge card. I applied for an Amex Business Gold and was denied. Guess what, I was denied because I had an old debt with them. The same old debt I had when they approved me for a personal card. In the denial letter, they said that they will immediately approve me for the business charge card if I paid the 16k ASAP. Guess what... I paid the money and they didn't charge me interest. Whew! I thought for sure I was going to owe them at least 50k in interest. Now, let's see if they honor their word. Lol I will say this... It's nice to finally have the monkey off of my back. It's a freeing feeling.

Congrats.  More companies should conduct business this way.  It's a win win for all involved. 

Message 12 of 16
DanielF
Contributor

When I was in the process of settling my old debts, I had a 16k balance with AMEX. Nationwide was the CA and I settled with them for less than the full balance. A day after I settled the account a rep from Nationwide called and said I qualified for a deal where if I payed back the full amount - the settlement, they would open a new AMEX card with a CL of 4900. I didn't take the offer at the time as I was trying to get all my old debts settled, but I always wondered if they would hold true to that deal. It may be worth a shot in the future. Let us know how it works out for you.

Starting Score: 656(EQ myFICO) 668 (TU myFICO)
Current Score: 638 EQ 680 TU08 677 EX
Goal Score: 750
Message 13 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
Haaaa! CS, I'm a scifi junkie as well and totally remember that line.

+1 here!!!

And congrats on getting everything squared away with Amex. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 16
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

I just heard from AMEX regarding my application for the business charge card. The rep told me to call back once I receive the letter they sent me on 1/19/12 confirming that the outstanding balance has been paid and we can move forward with the application.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 15 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
I just heard from AMEX regarding my application for the business charge card. The rep told me to call back once I receive the letter they sent me on 1/19/12 confirming that the outstanding balance has been paid and we can move forward with the application.

Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.