Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX IS HORRIBLE lowered my credit limit

tag
iignatii
Valued Member

AMEX IS HORRIBLE lowered my credit limit

Amex lowered my credit limit from 1000 to 500 claiming that my fico score went down. I cancelled my card immediately. I will never do business with AMEX again. I checked my score and saw bloomingdales put a 30 days late on my report. I am now in dispute with them.
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX IS HORRIBLE lowered my credit limit

Thats been going around lately.
Message 2 of 29
iignatii
Valued Member

Well then I will cancel all the cards that do that.
Message 3 of 29
TigerCat
Valued Member

Sorry to hear the news, and that's totally ridiculous. I had AMEX for 10 years, and they are so overrated. I say to all instead of paying those annual fees to them, put the money in a savings account. You'll be so glad you did.
Message 4 of 29
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear that. Looks like it is happening to several people now a days. I read several other members report similar thing happend to them.
Message 5 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I got one of their old-fashioned charge cards, but I'm not touching the "revolvers" until they calm down. And probably not then --my other cards have better rewards.

Although I suppose you could use one as a credit monitoring service, knowing that the moment anything changed on your reports, you'd be alerted by AmEx, in a highly unpleasant manner.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 29
Scamp
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Although I suppose you could use one as a credit monitoring service, knowing that the moment anything changed on your reports, you'd be alerted by AmEx, in a highly unpleasant manner.

Smiley Very Happy  HTSU, you're BAD. lol.  I needed a laugh today - you just gave it to me.  Thanks!!  Smiley Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 7 of 29
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hauling is right. Why not subscribe for Amex Credit Secure or TrueCredit 3 in 1 so you can monitor the events closely. I check both Credit Secure and TrueCredit every day to see if there is any changes made to my CR. I am very vigilant with CR's.

Scamp wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Smiley Very Happy  HTSU, you're BAD. lol.  I needed a laugh today - you just gave it to me.  Thanks!!  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Scamp on 12-13-2008 10:46 AM
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

4k to 500 here. amex didn't like my mortgage. since the cld i picked up 10k w/citi, 4.5k w/chase and 500 checking od loc when i opened a checking account.

i read on another board that one guy had over a 100k from amex!
Message 9 of 29
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am staying away from Amex. Minimal use on my Platinum Charge and Oasis Optima Card. I have no time or energy to deal with Amex tantrums.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.