Re: AMEX Initial Credit Limit

@MstrPTato wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

Can't say.  When I app'd for my BCP card it was approved at $10.5k.  When I app'd for my Business SPG card it was approved at $3k.  Your guess is as good as mine. 

Thank you for sharing. I had also learned from few other users in this forum that normally second card from AMEX carries less initial CLI than first AMEX one. Let see how other card users response on this. 

In my case, my first Amex card was Delta and they approved me with less CL vs. Second Amex EDP. They gave x 2 from my previous Delta limit. I have never request x3 , the last time I requested a CLI was only $4 and of course it was approved . My EDP card is my go card now and I put around $2k a month, I only leave $300 to carry balance.

Very interesting. I had read users who got less CL on their second AMEX. 

I got 8x the CL on my second Amex.  Go figure. 

That is indeed interesting. Thank you for sharing. I can't figure out other than some users had mentioned that they got higher credit limit on their second AMEX card...While others had said they got lower credit limit on their second AMEX....

My BCE was approved for $2,000 and then 45 days later I got the ED and got a limit of $9,400.

Were your scores any different?

Message 31 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

Can't say.  When I app'd for my BCP card it was approved at $10.5k.  When I app'd for my Business SPG card it was approved at $3k.  Your guess is as good as mine. 

Thank you for sharing. I had also learned from few other users in this forum that normally second card from AMEX carries less initial CLI than first AMEX one. Let see how other card users response on this. 

In my case, my first Amex card was Delta and they approved me with less CL vs. Second Amex EDP. They gave x 2 from my previous Delta limit. I have never request x3 , the last time I requested a CLI was only $4 and of course it was approved . My EDP card is my go card now and I put around $2k a month, I only leave $300 to carry balance.

That is indeed interesting. Thank you for sharing. I can't figure out other than some users had mentioned that they got higher credit limit on their second AMEX card...While others had said they got lower credit limit on their second AMEX....

My BCE was approved for $2,000 and then 45 days later I got the ED and got a limit of $9,400.

They probably went down a little honestly, but not sure. I just started checking my Fico scores and I had put out 3 or 4 apps since the first Amex approval.

Message 32 of 36
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@MstrPTato wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

I got 8x the CL on my secon Amex.  Go figure. 

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 33 of 36
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@MstrPTato wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@VegasKyle wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

They probably went down a little honestly, but not sure. I just started checking my Fico scores and I had put out 3 or 4 apps since the first Amex approval.

I see. So in another words AMEX is OK with more inquiries later on as well other approved cards, it seems. Another interesting observation. Thank you for sharing. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 34 of 36
Chris679
Established Contributor

In my opinion approvals and credit limits are way more arbitrary than people think. Many times there are people making the decisions and to try to find rhyme or reason to it all is impossible.
Message 35 of 36
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
In my opinion approvals and credit limits are way more arbitrary than people think. Many times there are people making the decisions and to try to find rhyme or reason to it all is impossible.

I whole heartedly agree.  There are way too many factors involved to try and draw some broad conclusion based on anecdotal evidence from reading a bunch of threads. Like I said earlier, whatever internal credit model or score amex uses is harder to decipher than "second cards have lower CL" or "new accounts are always bad".  It could come down to before or after the credit analyst had their coffee. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.