cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Issues

tag

AMEX Issues

I just recently closed an American Express account that my husband and I have had forver due to horrible customer service we received regarding our credit card account with them.  I want to share our story and see if there is anyone else out there who has had similar problems with them.

We opened an AMEX Costco card about a year ago (after already having their Gold card for 3 years) and in the beginning we had no prolems.  In May I went to make an online payment from our CitiBank account to the Costco card.  The payment said that it went through, gave me a confirmation number, and they said it would be processed in the next 2-3 business days.  I went back to check our CitiBank account and the payment had not gone out (this was 4 business days after the payment had been scheduled).  I called, cause our payment was due on the next day and I wanted to make sure they had the payment in the que.  I called and spoke to a horrible woman who said that she saw no record of a payment and that she was sure I did something wrong.  She asked me to confirm the payment confirmation number, the routing, and the checking number that I entered.  I did and she said that she would process the payment over the phone.

I thought that was the end of the story, but when I received a letter in the mail from AMEX saying our check had been returned due to NSF, I went back to our Citi account and the payment has still not been removed.  I called customer service again and got someone else who was rude and nasty telling me that the routing number they had on file for this account was innaccurate and not only was I being charged a late fee, a telephone check processing fee, and an NSF fee.  At this point I asked to speak with a supervisor, and they were even less helpful and recommended that I call CitiBank and see if their routing number had changed since opening the account.

I called CitiBank and let them know what was going on and the woman that I spoke with said that the routing number had not been changed and no charges (pending or rejectd) had come through on the account.  She told me to call AMEX with her on the phone, so I did and she spoke with an AMEX rep who was much nicer than the first two and the AMEX person finally pushed the payment through manually, and reversed all charges.

The final indignity with AMEX was when we received a letter in the mail saying that due to "payment history prblems" they were reducing our credit limit (12K to 2 K).  I called the next day and closed our account.  I have written several emails (all supposedly being answered in 24-48 hours of being received) and send 4 letters to dispute our treatment with them, and have heard nothing back.  I am disgusted and over AMEX and they will nver have my business again.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that someone can either learn from this or has something to share regarding their experiences.

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 614
Goal Score: 625

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX Issues

WOW, very sorry to hear about this, I would like to say I don't think this is a norm for amex but certainly would piss me off too.
Message 2 of 19

Thanks for the read.  It is very unusual, as we had a card with them for years and never had any problems.  We are very disappointed in their service and never imagined that we would have this problem with a company so well recommened.  My husband has an AMEX card for his work, but he would rather be reimbursed than use it.  That is just how angry we are. 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very sorry this happened to you. I have read other posts on the net from folks who have described the EXACT same scenario that happened to them with regards to payment processing. I've been a cardholder since 91, and since they began outsourcing to India, the level of customer service is not the same.
Message 4 of 19
cobra19
Valued Contributor

KCW............I feel your pain. AMEX has lost my business as well. I didn't close the accounts (they are my 2 oldest accounts and my sister is an AU on both cards), but I use them now only for online purchases.

IMO, their customer service has deteriorated considerably over the years.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear of your experience.  But I would say CitiBank has a big part to play in this.  It seems they were unable to process your request, for whatever reason.  And then you ran afoul with AMEX for being late with your payment.  It sounds like both CitiBank and AMEX's CS was inadequate, with each pointing the finger at each other.  I'd be just as mad at CitiBank as I would be with AMEX.  Was this the first payment you were sending electronically?  Once set up I've never had any problems sending payments, so if this was the first one perhaps the data was entered wrong (?).  If it wasn't the first one, it really sounds like CitiBank goofed up and you are paying for it.

I've found trying to rectify situations like this via letter is very difficult.  It really takes a hands on approach with someone at AMEX who knows what they are doing who can sort things out.  I'd try calling again and seeing if you can bump it higher in the AMEX food chain.
Message 6 of 19
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Watchmann wrote:
Sorry to hear of your experience.  But I would say CitiBank has a big part to play in this.  It seems they were unable to process your request, for whatever reason.  And then you ran afoul with AMEX for being late with your payment.  It sounds like both CitiBank and AMEX's CS was inadequate, with each pointing the finger at each other.  I'd be just as mad at CitiBank as I would be with AMEX.  Was this the first payment you were sending electronically?  Once set up I've never had any problems sending payments, so if this was the first one perhaps the data was entered wrong (?).  If it wasn't the first one, it really sounds like CitiBank goofed up and you are paying for it.

I tend to agree - not knowing the whole story.

For my first electronic payment of anything I always send twice the minimum via snail mail and do the rest electronically.  Better safe than sorry

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:

For my first electronic payment of anything I always send twice the minimum via snail mail and do the rest electronically.  Better safe than sorry

I agree.  With any new electronic payment I set up I immediately send a token amount, say, $25, to verify the link is working.  I check daily on the receiving end until the payment is received.  Only then will I trust the system is up and running.  It is very unusual for an established link to stop working, in my experience anyway.

From what the OP has said I think CitiBank is the real culprit here, but AMEX CS didn't handle it right either.  Maybe they are skeptical of 'The check is in the mail' stories.
Message 8 of 19

Thanks for everyone's comments and shared stories.  This was my first payment (via online) for Citi and AMEX.  It never occurred to me that things could go so horribly wrong, and I was naive in thinking that there "shouldn't" LOL be any problems.  I don't know how accountable I can hold CitiBank.  I do use them for other online bill pays and did not have problems, but it doesn't mean that it was never bound to happen.  I am truly stunned it happened between two huge financial companies (honestly, I thought AMEX and Citi would have each other on speed-dial).

I am not sure if I am going to follow up with more letters and emails.  I guess a hands on approach would be the way to go, but to be honest, I am so burnt out with dealing with them, that I am just expecting to fall in the cracks, once again.

If you know of a direct line to resolution where I can make a difference with either company, I would love to hear either how you did it or suggestions.  I don't want others to hit the point of frustration that we did, we are now marked (true story) with AMEX as being deliquent and writing bad checks, as told to us by the 2nd to last super I talked to on 6/17/08

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to beat a dead horse here, KindaCreditWorthy, but are you absolutely sure that you entered the routing number and account number correctly when you set it up on Amex's site?

The fact that it failed on the first payment makes it sound like a data entry error.  Forgive me if I'm mistaken.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.