Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Love for AU's ?

tag
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

AMEX Love for AU's ?

I'm an additional card member on wife's Amex Blue, was wondering if Amex views this as a positive thing when I go to apply for my own Amex card. Anyone have experience or knowledge of this? Are my chances improved by being an au on wife's existing positive account?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Love for AU's ?

@Whereis750 wrote:
I'm an additional card member on wife's Amex Blue, was wondering if Amex views this as a positive thing when I go to apply for my own Amex card. Anyone have experience or knowledge of this? Are my chances improved by being an au on wife's existing positive account?

take this for what it's worth.  I was AU on my wife's platinum, applied for BCP & Zync and was approved.  My credit score at the time was high 600s, and my salary is significant.  I applied using my login for the amex card.  Hard to tell/decipher if that played a role.

Message 2 of 11
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Thanks for feedback. Wondering if anyone else has experience with this?
Message 3 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Whereis750 wrote:

I'm an AU on an AMEX and I plan to use my good AU pmt history with them (provided everything else is in check) when I app them in a year or so.  With hopes of approval and subsequent backdating to 06' when I had my first card with them.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@Whereis750 wrote:

I'm an AU on an AMEX and I plan to use my good AU pmt history with them (provided everything else is in check) when I app them in a year or so.  With hopes of approval and subsequent backdating to 06' when I had my first card with them.

AMEX does use AU history in decision. AMEX will also back date card for AU holders as well as new card holders who had an account before.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 11
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Is au account history separate from main card holder? My cr and wife's cr for Amex look identical. We make one payment a month to this account thru her login.
Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Whereis750 wrote:
Is au account history separate from main card holder? My cr and wife's cr for Amex look identical. We make one payment a month to this account thru her login.

Sort of, there is a flag somewhere there for the fact that it's an AU (or Additional Cardmember - AC in Amex terminology) on the tradeline.

If it's a joint account though, then presumably it would report identically for both.

        
Message 7 of 11
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Joint account vs Additional Card Holder ... There's a difference? How can I tell what mine is?
Message 8 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Whereis750 wrote:
Joint account vs Additional Card Holder ... There's a difference? How can I tell what mine is?

Not certain how you'd tell from an Amex interface perspecrive, but the difference is a legal one:

- Joint account: you are both liable for the debt incurred on the card (in this case, or auto / mortage / other loan similarly).  If your wife were to flake on payments, they could legally come after you to pay them in this case (I'm ignoring various marriage legal issues too, but this applies to people who are not married as well)

- AC Holder: only the primary member is liable for the debt.  If your wife walked away from it, you have no responsibility to pay it legally.  Again, this neglects the abovementioned marriage legalities.

If there's no difference at all on the tradeline, might be worth calling and asking if you're curious.  AU's are supposed to be reported differently by lenders, and I've never heard that Amex was different in this regard.

        
Message 9 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Amex has been known to go after the AU for any and all charges that came from the AU card. Account numbers and expiration dates (in most cases) are different and easy to identify which card was used. While the primary is responsible for the debt legally, I wouldn't count on Amex letting you walk away with-out trying to collect payment.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.