cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Low Credit Limit - can anything be done except wait?

tag
mbla
New Contributor

AMEX Low Credit Limit - can anything be done except wait?

About three months ago after a year of rebuilding i was approved for two AMEX Revolvers (Everyday & SPG) but each with only a 1K CL my EX Score at the time was 688 with some major baddies due to fall off..  I thought OK I will apply for the 61 day 3x CLI at least.  Well I reached the 61st day and was denied CLI for both cards and AMEX used the same three month old EX CR that they used to approve me originally for the denial of the CLI.

Now major baddies have fallen of EX annd I was approved in the last 30 days for a Chase CSP and United Explorer Card each with 15K CL.  In addition my previously secured BofA Cash Rewards CL has been increased to 15k CL as well.  My EX FICO is around 720 now. My Income is 93k/yr.

Is there anyting I can do to move AMEX along regarding CLI (the cards are not very useful with a1K limit at this point) or do I have to wait 6 months and request 3X CLI and then wait again and again?   At this point it would take three years to get the AMEX Cards CL up to the Chase and B of A Cards!

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Low Credit Limit - can anything be done except wait?

You can request a CLI with AMEX every 90 days thereafter the 61 day period. More info here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/1811071#M504905

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 2 of 5
mbla
New Contributor

I have read that guide but that timetable will take 2 years to get the AMEX Cards up to my other cards limits!

Message 3 of 5
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@mbla wrote:

I have read that guide but that timetable will take 2 years to get the AMEX Cards up to my other cards limits!

OK. If they are pulling an old report and you have since greatly improved, then it maybe worth the HP IF you get a CLI in the $10K range. I don't see why not if you recently received $15K CLs with Chase and I don't think AMEX is INQ sensitive like Discover or Citi.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 4 of 5
mbla
New Contributor

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@mbla wrote:

OK. If they are pulling an old report and you have since greatly improved, then it maybe worth the HP IF you get a CLI in the $10K range. I don't see why not if you recently received $15K CLs with Chase and I don't think AMEX is INQ sensitive like Discover or Citi.

Ok, but who would I contact for a HP CLI request at AMEX as that is not their normal process?  Phone number on card?  Executive Office?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.