Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX MR Offer. Should I Take it?

tag
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

AMEX MR Offer. Should I Take it?

Helllloooo folks,

I logged on to AmEx to pay my bill recently and I was offered 50,000 MR points to sign up for the PRG after $2k spend or 60,000 MR for platinum. Should I take it? I actually have been kicking around the idea of getting an AmEx charge. I don't really need it but I thought the benefits for travel were cool and I like the idea of pay over time not that I'd prob ever use it.  But it would be mainly for the MR points. Also, I noticed something different. For the PRG, it listed the annual fee as $160 after the first year rather than $195. I don't know if they changed it for everybody or that's a special rate for the offer?

So, is it worth it for the points and some airline perks or are AmEx charge cards useless? I was leaning towards the PRG, BTW.

Thanks!

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX MR Offer. Should I Take it?

That is a great offer on the PRG. I would take it! I have both, the PRG earns point really quick on everyday purchases for me. I have the plat for travel benefits and for flights hotels. I guess it depends on your spend pattern as to which is better. I like both of them, you can't go wrong with either offer...

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

I logged on to AmEx to pay my bill recently and I was offered 50,000 MR points to sign up for the PRG after $2k spend or 60,000 MR for platinum. Should I take it? I actually have been kicking around the idea of getting an AmEx charge. I don't really need it but I thought the benefits for travel were cool and I like the idea of pay over time not that I'd prob ever use it.  But it would be mainly for the MR points. Also, I noticed something different. For the PRG, it listed the annual fee as $160 after the first year rather than $195. I don't know if they changed it for everybody or that's a special rate for the offer?

So, is it worth it for the points and some airline perks or are AmEx charge cards useless? I was leaning towards the PRG, BTW.

Thanks!

You said you don't really need it, so why apply for something you don't need? If it will benefit you by getting it, then apply.

I get both of those offers, seems like every week. They even send me beautiful looking snail mail for the same offers that are just so darn classy looking, I hate throwing them away, especially knowing I could get them both!

But I don't need them, and seeing the wheel turn and then "Congratulations! You have been approved for..." wore off for me quite a while ago.

Get what you need and ditch what you don't need, and don't apply for what you don't need.

Message 3 of 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

Thanks!

50K for a $2K spend?  hit the return key, that is an amazing offer, like the best I have ever heard of.  unless you like the 3x for flights just transfer out after the year is up, I personally don't see the value in the card.  also retention the card every quarter, they will toss something your way.  do it now, really amazing deal imo

Message 4 of 14
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

Thanks!

You said you don't really need it, so why apply for something you don't need? If it will benefit you by getting it, then apply.

I get both of those offers, seems like every week. They even send me beautiful looking snail mail for the same offers that are just so darn classy looking, I hate throwing them away, especially knowing I could get them both!

But I don't need them, and seeing the wheel turn and then "Congratulations! You have been approved for..." wore off for me quite a while ago.

Get what you need and ditch what you don't need, and don't apply for what you don't need.

I get those nice packets too. For the gold and the platinum. I feel bad throwing them away.

Message 5 of 14
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

Thanks!

50K for a $2K spend?  hit the return key, that is an amazing offer, like the best I have ever heard of.  unless you like the 3x for flights just transfer out after the year is up, I personally don't see the value in the card.  also retention the card every quarter, they will toss something your way.  do it now, really amazing deal imo

That's what I thought. I'm seriously considering it!

Message 6 of 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

Thanks!

lol need has nothing to do with it in this case, why have the scores you do unless you use them once in a while.  do you already have mr points going?  what other ax products do you own?  just curious

Message 7 of 14
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

Thanks!

lol need has nothing to do with it in this case, why have the scores you do unless you use them once in a while.  do you already have mr points going?  what other ax products do you own?  just curious

I am new to MR points. I have a BCP. Thinking of going PRG. It seems like the best way to go reward wise- 50k MR with no AF for the first year of 60k MR with a $500+ fee. I'm not educated on all the benefits of both so maybe the platinum is just as good or better of a deal once you add in the other perks it offers. I travel more out of the country then I do in country so that's why I'm leaning towards PRG. My home airport lounge doesn't have an AmEx lounge. I haven't noticed too many merchants internationally accepting AmEx. I could be wrong and hope I am!

Message 8 of 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

Thanks!

I am new to MR points. I have a BCP. Thinking of going PRG. It seems like the best way to go reward wise- 50k MR with no AF for the first year of 60k MR with a $500+ fee. I'm not educated on all the benefits of both so maybe the platinum is just as good or better of a deal once you add in the other perks it offers. I travel more out of the country then I do in country so that's why I'm leaning towards PRG. My home airport lounge doesn't have an AmEx lounge. I haven't noticed too many merchants internationally accepting AmEx. I could be wrong and hope I am!

@Anonymous bcp is cash, does you no good for points.  depends on what you are trying to do - to me it much easier to amass points via chase than ax for many reasons.  if you rolled back the clock a bit and could still get a csr @ max value you could end up with a csr = 104, csp w/ au = 59 and an ink = 85.  248 points is quite a start into the points world.  you then pc the csp to a freedom or freedom unlimited depending on ones needs and they both can transfer to the csr to supesize their values.  you can then tap the csp again in 2 years for more points.  nothing beats a bonus to kick start points accumulation.  then you have the ink.  if you have a business that matches the 3x you are looking to 3x up to $150K per year or 450K points.  1mil in points in one year with chase is a snap if ones spending profile fits the ink along with the other card intros + ongoing accumulation is also not too shabby - plug into reddit for further details.  except for museums, tours and better restaurant's and hotel you will find visa/mastercard far more accepted than amex is in europe.  in france no >1* wants to take it.  ax is once in a lifetime per card for bonus which is why many just bonus and burn them.  to me the prg is a no-brainer at the offer you have.  the platinum give you 5x vs 3x on air but the club is a big part of it so I would pass on that + there are much better plat offers waiting.  good car rental insurance and offers on the ax - I just got 7500 for $300 spend with dell.  the airline credit is not the same as chase, meaning nowhere as good.  with ax you have to partner with an airline for the entire year and official changes are only allowed in jan.  outside of jan credits may not trigger as I have found out first hand.  customer support is us based for chase. 100% outsourced for ax.  chase is a snap to deal with in general, ax not so much.  I could go on and on but all my bs aside I think you should snap up the prg while you have the chance and they think about what you want to do in the future.  if you don't want the prg when the next af hits then transfer out to a partner or open an everyday and do the move.

Message 9 of 14
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Helllloooo folks,

Thanks!

@Anonymous bcp is cash, does you no good for points.  depends on what you are trying to do - to me it much easier to amass points via chase than ax for many reasons.  if you rolled back the clock a bit and could still get a csr @ max value you could end up with a csr = 104, csp w/ au = 59 and an ink = 85.  248 points is quite a start into the points world.  you then pc the csp to a freedom or freedom unlimited depending on ones needs and they both can transfer to the csr to supesize their values.  you can then tap the csp again in 2 years for more points.  nothing beats a bonus to kick start points accumulation.  then you have the ink.  if you have a business that matches the 3x you are looking to 3x up to $150K per year or 450K points.  1mil in points in one year with chase is a snap if ones spending profile fits the ink along with the other card intros + ongoing accumulation is also not too shabby - plug into reddit for further details.  except for museums, tours and better restaurant's and hotel you will find visa/mastercard far more accepted than amex is in europe.  in france no >1* wants to take it.  ax is once in a lifetime per card for bonus which is why many just bonus and burn them.  to me the prg is a no-brainer at the offer you have.  the platinum give you 5x vs 3x on air but the club is a big part of it so I would pass on that + there are much better plat offers waiting.  good car rental insurance and offers on the ax - I just got 7500 for $300 spend with dell.  the airline credit is not the same as chase, meaning nowhere as good.  with ax you have to partner with an airline for the entire year and official changes are only allowed in jan.  outside of jan credits may not trigger as I have found out first hand.  customer support is us based for chase. 100% outsourced for ax.  chase is a snap to deal with in general, ax not so much.  I could go on and on but all my bs aside I think you should snap up the prg while you have the chance and they think about what you want to do in the future.  if you don't want the prg when the next af hits then transfer out to a partner or open an everyday and do the move.

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I do have a CSP and Freedom. I was 1 card over the 5/24 limit when the CSR came around. I'd have been all over that. I have about 60,000UR's just sitting there right now. 

I like the the idea of grabbing that bonus now. That could be useful to hoard if nothing else lol. I wouldn't mind waiting to see if they come up with something better but after what you said and my research it looks like this is about as good of an offer as it gets for the PRG. I read that at one time it hit 75,000 but that could never come again this decade lol.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.