Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX MR Points Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX MR Points Question

Hello everyone, I have a quick question about AMEX MR points. My mom had an amex account for years and had built up quite a few points. Fallowing some bad advice from local CU she consolidated all of her CC debt about 5,000 into a loan form the CU before retiring. When she did it the CU advised her to close all of the accounts. Well come to find out she has now lost all of her MR points from AMEX.

So my question is, if she was to open a new TL with AMEX would they be able to recover her points? She has a FICO of 792 so getting approved shouldn't be a problem. Just curious if anyone has experience with this. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX MR Points Question

LoboNation wrote:

Hello everyone, I have a quick question about AMEX MR points. My mom had an amex account for years and had built up quite a few points. Fallowing some bad advice from local CU she consolidated all of her CC debt about 5,000 into a loan form the CU before retiring. When she did it the CU advised her to close all of the accounts. Well come to find out she has now lost all of her MR points from AMEX.

So my question is, if she was to open a new TL with AMEX would they be able to recover her points? She has a FICO of 792 so getting approved shouldn't be a problem. Just curious if anyone has experience with this. 

Generally, once your last MR (MRE) card is closed, the points are forfeited after a short time.   It's not like MSD, where a subsequent card can revive them.   That said, she can ask Amex and see if there is any flexibility.   How long ago were the accounts closed.

(And, obviously too late, but never blindly obey one financial instituion telling you to close all other accounts at other institutions!)

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I wish she would have talked to me before closing the accounts. The good thing is if she does get another Amex she should be backdated to like '88 so that's good. 

The TL's were all closed about 90 days ago.

I plan on having her give them a call tomorrow to see what she can do. I would really hope they wouldn't treat a customer who has been with them 26 years with not one late that bad but you never know.

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

From MillionMilesSecrets:

You MAY be able to get your points reinstated, if you get a new Membership Rewards card within 1 year after canceling your card.  You have to write a letter to the Membership Rewards Correspondence Unit.

You can write to:

Membership Rewards Correspondence Unit
AMEX Membership Rewards
PO BOX 297813
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33329-7813.

Or call Membership Rewards at 800-567-1083.

Include the following information in your letter:

• Your American Express credit history
  • Your high credit score
  • Your responsible credit use

Reinstatement of your points might not work so I wouldn’t count on being able to have your points returned to you.  It’s better to use or transfer them, than to lose them.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Do you need to have the new TL established before writing them? I would guess you would.

You guys always have the answer! Thank you.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.