Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Member Since Date and Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Member Since Date and Credit Report

I just called today and they backdated my cards to 2009 the date I got my corporate card. Will this also update on my credit report?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Member Since Date

@Anonymous wrote:
I just called today and they backdated my cards to 2009 the date I got my corporate card. Will this also update on my credit report?

I'm sorry, that ended last year (back in March).  Smiley Sad

The "Member Since" date is only good within Amex now... and to possibly impress someone if you're out on a date. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

While everyone has a heart attack over "backdating", does the real date in the credit bureau change? If not, who cares!
Message 3 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Member Since Date and Credit Report

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, since you replied to an older thread with outdated information, I started a new thread using your post.

As has been said, AMEX no longer updates your CRs to reflect MSD as of last year.   Unfortunately, having your MSD "corrected" with AMEX will no longer help AAoA

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spider15 wrote:
While everyone has a heart attack over "backdating", does the real date in the credit bureau change? If not, who cares!

The real date used to change, which is why it was such a big deal. However, now the date accurately reflects when the account is open. 

Message 5 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Spider15 wrote:

Yeah, I don't call this a 'backdate' anyway...

The Amex "Member" date is the year you got your first Amex card.  Any updates to subsequent new accounts is merely a "correction" to what the date should have been anyway.  This happens since sometimes when somebody goes a while without an Amex account of any type it takes Amex a little while to 'find' you in their records. 

When I got my Green and BCP last April (barely missing the "true" backdating) when I would log in I was greeted with "Member since 2015".  After a couple of weeks, this changed to "Member since 1995" - I didn't have to do anything, they "found" my old account automatically.

My cards were embossed with "2015", but if/when I get replacements the new cards will have "1995".  I don't bother having them replaced earlier to get the 'real' date since again, the only thing it's good for is impressing a date or a cashier, neither of which are a concern of mine.

Message 6 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

My cards were embossed with "2015", but if/when I get replacements the new cards will have "1995".  I don't bother having them replaced earlier to get the 'real' date since again, the only thing it's good for is impressing a date or a cashier, neither of which are a concern of mine.

And not even sure if it is good for that!   Certainly not cashiers, but even dates, can't quite imagine the scenario "Wow, I thought you were kind of a jerk, but now I see you get your first Amex 25 years ago, I will......."

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

And not even sure if it is good for that!   Certainly not cashiers, but even dates, can't quite imagine the scenario "Wow, I thought you were kind of a jerk, but now I see you get your first Amex 25 years ago, I will......."

Come on longtimelurker didn't you use your high quality/tier cards to impress dates (my old Green and Gold American Express Cards from the '70's)?  Smiley Wink In the old days (1970's) it seemed such an approach had merit but, in today's world some of the dates have better cards than I do so ... who is impressed?!

Message 8 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Yeah, it's not backdating if it isn't reported.  It's just an MSD.

I was a bit confused recently because I received a replacement BCP with my MSD of 1998.  It turns out that this was a replacement for the card where I'm an AU on my wife's BCP.  I was expecting that card to have an MSD of 2014 since that was the year I was added as an AU.

@Spider15 wrote:

Asking about backdating is not a heart attack.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

Yeah, it's not backdating if it isn't reported.  It's just an MSD.

I was a bit confused recently because I received a replacement BCP with my MSD of 1998.  It turns out that this was a replacement for the card where I'm an AU on my wife's BCP.  I was expecting that card to have an MSD of 2014 since that was the year I was added as an AU.

@Spider15 wrote:

Asking about backdating is not a heart attack.

Many people were pursuing "back dating" as a way to improve their AoA (can't blame them) last year and they were pushing hard to get their bureau reports and AX to have the same date before the door closed. To them it was a heart attack. Again, if it would improve their AoA I totally get it. For those with thicker credit files it is really a minor issue but for thin files it certainly would help. In my case (do not have any AX Cards today) I would have had a potential back date to 1973 which is quite significant if I really was interested. Also, I did not question asking about "backdating" I made a statement about it.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.