Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Member since 1989

tag
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

AMEX Member since 1989

I got my first AMEX green card in 1989, that account was closed a couple years later.  Almost 2 months ago, (July 8), I was approved for the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and I got a "welcome back to American Express" email.  When I log into my AMEX account online, it says, "Member Since 1989", but my new BCP card has, "Member Since '16" on it.

My latest FICO 3B report, (Aug 25) says my OLDEST ACCOUNT was opened 12 years ago.  My new AMEX account has just started reporting to EQ and EX, (hasn't reported to TU yet).  My question is, where does the "OLDEST ACCOUNT" age come from?  I had credit cards, car loans and mortgage loans long before 12 years ago but none of those show up on my credit reports.  Will my OLDEST ACCOUNT age increase to 27 years now that AMEX is starting to report?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Xistaben2
New Contributor

Re: AMEX Member since 1989

You got your first AMEX when I was 4!

But seriously - I don't think AMEX backdates anymore, they stopped that a year or two back, so the account will show opened recently on your credit report, but the card will show member since 89.

Message 2 of 22
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

Thanks for pointing out that you were 4 years old when I got my first AMEX!....lol

Message 3 of 22
Xistaben2
New Contributor

@Tim_S wrote:

Thanks for pointing out that you were 4 years old when I got my first AMEX!....lol

That's ok - I just got my first AMEX last month and there are tons of 4 year olds in the world today.  I'll get what I have coming.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe if the account is older than 10 years it no longer reports or shows so that's why you're probably not seeing anything old on your report.
Message 5 of 22
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Tim_S wrote:

I got my first AMEX green card in 1989, that account was closed a couple years later.  Almost 2 months ago, (July 8), I was approved for the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and I got a "welcome back to American Express" email.  When I log into my AMEX account online, it says, "Member Since 1989", but my new BCP card has, "Member Since '16" on it.

My latest FICO 3B report, (Aug 25) says my OLDEST ACCOUNT was opened 12 years ago.  My new AMEX account has just started reporting to EQ and EX, (hasn't reported to TU yet).  

My question is, where does the "OLDEST ACCOUNT" age come from?

From the oldest account in your reports, it could be open or closed. If closed, after 10 years they remove them from your reports.

I had credit cards, car loans and mortgage loans long before 12 years ago but none of those show up on my credit reports.

Closed accounts fall from the reports after 10 years, that's why is good to have credit open.

Will my OLDEST ACCOUNT age increase to 27 years now that AMEX is starting to report?

No. Amex no longer backdates information to the credit bureaus. You call and ask a new card with a MSD 89 if you want, but that will not change your credit reports.

Message 6 of 22
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@Tim_S wrote:

My latest FICO 3B report, (Aug 25) says my OLDEST ACCOUNT was opened 12 years ago.  My new AMEX account has just started reporting to EQ and EX, (hasn't reported to TU yet).  

My question is, where does the "OLDEST ACCOUNT" age come from?

From the oldest account in your reports, it could be open or closed. If closed, after 10 years they remove them from your reports.

I had credit cards, car loans and mortgage loans long before 12 years ago but none of those show up on my credit reports.

Closed accounts fall from the reports after 10 years, that's why is good to have credit open.

Will my OLDEST ACCOUNT age increase to 27 years now that AMEX is starting to report?

No. Amex no longer backdates information to the credit bureaus. You call and ask a new card with a MSD 89 if you want, but that will not change your credit reports.

So your OLDEST ACCOUNT age only recognizes active accounts or closed accounts up to 10 years old?  That's interesting, because like I said in my original post, my OLDEST ACCOUNT age states 12 years, but my oldest active account is only 5 years old.  If they remove closed accounts older than 10 years from my reports, where are they getting 12 years old from?  I'm confused....Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 22
baller4life
Super Contributor

+1 what newhis said.

I wish I could go back to 1989. Freshmen year in college and was young and dumb and didn't know how to handle all the new credit cards being thrown my way! SMH
Message 8 of 22
baller4life
Super Contributor

Open accounts have no expiration date of reporting. Closed positive accounts only report up to 10 years. If you have a closed account reporting longer, consider yourself very lucky.
Message 9 of 22
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

Okay, I just checked my 3B report again and the account that is 12 years old, (my oldest) last had activity Oct. 2006, meaning it should fall off next month.  This makes sense now....thank you!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.