Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX NPSL - When do YOU pay?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX NPSL - When do YOU pay?

With Amex, I never make multiple payments.  With Revolvers, I pay once and the entire amount 15 days before it's due.  With my charge, a single payment in full right after the statement cuts.

When and if short term rates rise, I will wait until the very last minute to pay--literally 24 hours before.

Message 11 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

With Amex, I never make multiple payments.  With Revolvers, I pay once and the entire amount 15 days before it's due.  With my charge, a single payment in full right after the statement cuts.

When and if short term rates rise, I will wait until the very last minute to pay--literally 24 hours before.

If the fed EVER raises the frigging rates FFS.. The stock market sucks this year cause the feds don't have any sack to raise the rate which they should of done years ago and they shouldnt have any business in the stock market, but they make it their business of being "worried".  I want to reinvest money, but until I see rate hikes, I am playing it safe as it is a roll-coaster until the rates actually start to be increased IMO .. /End rant of off-topic thing

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone said before, amex charge cards work on a 30 day cycle. My statement usually cuts the middle of the month and i usually just pay it before the month is over since its easy for me to remember that way. Just pay it up by the end of the month for my amex Gold (and ED also i guess since i pay them at same time). 

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@-Cal- wrote:

I usually pay as I charge things, otherwise I'll pay as soon as the statement cuts. 

+1^ .I just pay when I see charges come up.. Usually check my accounts daily.. To some this is a pain, to me it is just like reading my morning paper.

ME TOO! Totally do this too. I kinda get nervous though. I mean... I know that they get paid for the swipe... but it just seems risky for us to be doing this. Its like either we are overly OCD about money, or we are paranoid we wont have enough to pay the bill?  Its not hurting my scores any.  I only carry small balances on 0% from time to time. But 90% of my transactions are paid the same day or next day. I am ocd with my checking account balance though. And I basically am entering in everything as I would with a debit card except its been swiped with a CC then paid.

Total OCD. haha

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im a new prg user, so far I just give them biweekly pays thru their site like any other card. I had to hit spend, which wasn't a big deal, household cable/celltrash/sewer bills is more than 333 a month.

Please pay by October 3. Late fee if after? Oct 2 it is.
Message 15 of 25
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

If you pay after the please pay by date, you are not late, You are late if you pay after the next statement closing date. For example, my Green closes on the 3rd of September, the satement says please pay by September 16, if you pay September 17, it's on time. Now if you pay October 4th, you are officially late.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 16 of 25
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I pay my AmEx charge cards the same way as I would pay any credit card. I let the statement cut, and then I pay whatever is due before the due date. I haven't had a reason to go beyond the "suggested due date." Another motto I go by is, "just because you could, doesn't mean you should." For me, it's just a lot easier to keep track of actual deadlines and due dates as opposed to arbitrary, indeterminate dates in the future. 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay 3 days before next statement cut and I consider that generous

Message 18 of 25
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

I usually pay my bill, the same day the statement cuts, just to get it out the way, and make a good impression, so for when the time comes for me to apply for an amex revolver. lol

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 19 of 25
Open123
Super Contributor

While only Amex knows for certain, it's surmised that amongst the many data points Amex uses, the higher the average payment and earlier before the due/suggested payment date leads the more favorable rating on their internal risk score, all thing equal.  

Several years ago, there had been a few declines Apps and for CLI requests with "avg payment too low" reported as a reason.  In my view, Amex's algorithms on risk are datapoints based on the average Amex cardmember.  I suspect, unlike other Issuers, the overwhelming majority of Amex cardmembers pay after the statement cuts and in full (most cardmembers PIF, do not carry a blance, nor make partial payments), from 5 - 10 days post due date.  In my view, with zero rates, there's no harm to paying right after the due/suggested payment date.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.