cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Oasis...Is It Worth It To Wake AMEX Beast??

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Oasis...Is It Worth It To Wake AMEX Beast??

@hippychic823 wrote:
That's what I was worried about a JDB...like a zombie collection right?? Ugh, I've worked hard to rebuild my credit...I don't wanna deal with anymore collection calls ever....just want the AMEX so it will possibly backdate to 1999 and increase my AAoA....but not sure bumping my AAoA will be worth dealing with a JDB...

Even then, you're safe. If you get such a call, simply state that the debt is outside of SOL and to refrain from calling you, then hang up. It will NOT show up on your report, as it's outside of the CRTP.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 34
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Awesome, thanks for all the advice!!!
Message 12 of 34
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@hippychic823 wrote:
That's what I was worried about a JDB...like a zombie collection right?? Ugh, I've worked hard to rebuild my credit...I don't wanna deal with anymore collection calls ever....just want the AMEX so it will possibly backdate to 1999 and increase my AAoA....but not sure bumping my AAoA will be worth dealing with a JDB...
Amex sometimes refuses to backdate on old cards that ends in co so don't depend on backdate. However some have gotten auto update from co old Amex. But don't depend on it.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 34
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@hippychic823 wrote:
Amex sometimes refuses to backdate on old cards that ends in co so don't depend on backdate. However some have gotten auto update from co old Amex. But don't depend on it.

+100... If you can get back in with AMEX, just be happy you got back in and try to fly as far under the radar as possible...

Good luck!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 14 of 34
sjt
Senior Contributor

@hippychic823 wrote:
So, I've read on here in the past about AMEX Oasis and I have a few questions. First, is AMEX even still doing this? And second, if they are, how do I go about getting one? Long story short, I got an AMEX Green in 1999 (very first card I ever got. I was 18 and completely clueless about credit. Needless to say, it didn't work out so well with me and AMEX). I ended up with a balance of a little under 1K on it. Now, bear with me because, like I said earlier, I was young and this was forever ago...the account ended up either going to collections or getting CO (I'm not sure which). It is no longer on my CR at all and hasn't been for sometime. I'm interested in getting an Oasis card because I heard they backdate which would be awesome for my AAoA to have the card from 1999 on there. But, is it worth it to wake the AMEX beast? And how would I even go about trying for one? Any info or advice would be appreciated.

IMHO - I think if you can pay Amex off and get off the blacklist you should go for it.

Here's a few things to also consider:

I was told that 1) Amex never sells its debt, unlike other credit card companies 2) If the C/O amount is below a certain amount it might be purged from their systems 3) The Oasis Program is a form of Collection and you might not qualify even though you paid off the debt 4) Depending on your current credit profile, you might want to apply outright for an account. If you are denied because of the blacklist, then you can pay it off and ask for reconsideration.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had amex back in 99 and charged off 2k, i was approved for zync last week with no preset limit. I recieved the card thursday and have already used it and paid it off.

And when i log in it says member since 1999

Message 16 of 34
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had amex back in 99 and charged off 2k, i was approved for zync last week with no preset limit. I recieved the card thursday and have already used it and paid it off.

Congrats !   And your old debt was unpaid, right ?    Guess you squeaked past under the radar on that one.......Your ZYNC will be backdated to '99 so that should be really good for your AAoA.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 17 of 34
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats !   And your old debt was unpaid, right ?    Guess you squeaked past under the radar on that one.......Your ZYNC will be backdated to '99 so that should be really good for your AAoA.

The complications come up when it doesn't pick up old card.  Do you call them and basically have them find old account and link them together.  Could be a problem.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 18 of 34
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

John- did you see an increase in your score when the backdated AMEX posted to your CR and increased your AAoA? And if so, about how much of an increase? Honestly, I really don't "need" the AMEX but I would loooove to have a boost to my AAoA that the AMEX (provided they backdate my card) would provide....and it would feel nice to have a "prime" card again Smiley Happy But if they didn't backdate, honestly I would probably be just as happy with a Discover Smiley Very Happy
Message 19 of 34
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Oh, and one more question (and this is gonna sound reallllly dumb)
What is the difference in the Amex Green and the Zync? Any suggestions on which one I should app for? My TU is 678 and my EQ is 674 (per My FICO scores on this site). I have a Crap One rebuilder with a 500 CL (0 bal. Charge gas on it and PIF every month) and a Best Buy with a 2K CL (200.00 bal. Will PIF in a week). Have 3 medical collections from 2009 (all 3 were under $200) that are PIF (in the process of GW-ing the CA to get them removed) those are my only baddies (besides the ancient Amex CO for about 1K). Do I even stand a chance with AMEX? I hate to waste an inq only to get denied....Smiley Sad
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.