Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Online Payment Question!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Online Payment Question!!

Hey guys,

Just received my Zync card this week and already put about $600 in charges since Tuesday and wanted to go in and make a payment even though it says my first statement end date isn't until Sep 22nd....I had read on here that you can't make your first payment until that date and also can't make it for more than the outstanding balance (most of my items are still pending).  My outstanding balance is about $230.00 and pending charges make up the difference since I went shopping last night.  I went ahead and added up the pending and outstanding balance and submitted a payment online this morning just now, and it went through. 

Does that mean everything should be fine?  I suppose if the payment hits before those pending charges go through it will show a credit?  I was just curious as to why people were having a hard time posting payments online before their first statement cut, and also they were having trouble making payments for more than their outstsanding balance, but I was able to just now do both....any insight would be great!

I hear AMEX likes multiple payments, so I'm wanting to pay it every Friday instead of waiting until the end of the month, do you think this will look better in their eyes?  Don't want to make them upset, especially since I don't know my "spending ability" and don't really want to check it.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Online Payment Question!!

Just pay on time.  If you prefer to make multiple payments through the month because that helps you budget, do that.  As long as its paid on time, I don't think you'll have any problems.

The references to people not being able to make payments online had to do with a technical aspect of the website.  There was no option to do so before their first statement.  At least that is the way I read those.  If you were able to do it, Amex could have simply changed its website.  I don't think they're going to care that  you paid  your bill early.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
dharalex
Established Contributor

Actually, I've found that there is always a lag time before your charges post, even though your avail credit will immediately be deducted. The way I get around the system is online banking. Even when my cc online acct says I don't have a balance after I just bought a $ 2000 Mac computer, I go to my online banking and schedule an immediate payment of that $2000 and the cc company takes it! Don't know if this is news...this site is so impressive, but it's news to me!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks Walt, that's pretty much what I was needing to know. 

And @ dharalex, since I have the Zync, there is no available balance, it is a charge card.  And since they let me pay more than my outstanding balance, it doesn't look like I'll have to force pay through my bank account's bill pay system.  Perhaps the Charge Cards through AMEX work differently by letting you pay more than your outstanding balance rather than their revolving products?  Maybe not , but just an idea?

Thanks though for the response.

Message 4 of 5
dharalex
Established Contributor

See? I knew this site was on point! Lol I just joined and was excited to be able to participate...

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.