Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Opinion: Which is better?

tag
jpparker07
New Contributor

AMEX Opinion: Which is better?

When it comes to AMEX cards I want an opinion. Is it better to have an airline specific card (JetBlue Amex, Delta Skymiles Amex, etc) or to have one of the charge cards where you can get points and transfer them to frequent flier programs including the two airlines stated above? I know the biggest difference is you can carry a balance on the airline cards but many AMEX clients pay in full anyway so I guess there opinions are even more significant. Thanks!

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Opinion: Which is better?

I would think the charge cards because they can be used on other airlines. Only bad thing like you said is you have to PIF monthly.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

I'd choose the charge cards (PRG, Platinum) because they offer excellent benefits not offered with the airline revolver cards.

Here's a rank in order of what I'd recommend based on benefits that come with the annual fee:

1. PRG
1. Platinum
3. Gold Card (regular)
4. Delta Reserve
5. Delta Platinum
6. Delta Gold
6. Jet Blue AMEX
8. Green Card
9. Blue Sky Preferred
10. Blue Sky (no annual fee)
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 3 of 5
jpparker07
New Contributor

How much annually would you have to spend to make the PRG worth the annual fee? Mileage may vary of course, just wondering.

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 4 of 5
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

The general consensus is that the PRG is worth it if you hit $30,000 annual spend, which nets you an extra 15,000 MR points.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.