Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Opinions

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

AMEX Opinions

I am working on getting my util in position to app for AMEX in the not too distant future. I have 3 cards on my radar (SPG - BCP - Costco) and I am trying to determine which way to go. They all would have benefit for me and I could see possibly having all of them in my lineup at some time in the future. The main concern is that I am able to get in the door and develop a relationship with AMEX. I know that is has been stated on this forum many times that it is easier to obtain a charge card than a revolver from AMEX, but I don't really have a need for any of their charge cards. I am currently a member of Costco as well.

So which, if any, of the 3 cards listed would be the easiest to start a relationship with AMEX?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Opinions

I strongly disagree with the notion that an AMEX charge is easier to obtain than their revolvers. I think the UW criteria are quite similar. There maybe differences in co-branded cards (SPG, Costco) vs AMEX products like BCE. Even if it were true that a green would get you "in" with Amex why waste the pull on a card you don't need? Better to wait until your scores are 695+, ideally over 700 and app for the BCE.
Message 2 of 13
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Sorry BCP
Message 3 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Hi Longroad 

More info needed but looking at the choices if you qualify for one of those I think you could take your pick of the 3. IMHO

Note Amex will cancel any app after 2 the same day just an FYI 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 13
hot4u
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Hi Longroad 

More info needed but looking at the choices if you qualify for one of those I think you could take your pick of the 3. IMHO

+1

Also not Maximum is 2 Amex cards in 90 day period.

Best  to stagger them and don't be in a hurry if you wait a year after 1st Card

Your second card will have starting date as First card.

This will help in AAOA  Smiley Wink

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 5 of 13
saving_grace16
New Contributor

Not sure if it's easier or not - but I have the BCP and it's great!  You can't beat 6% back on groceries and 3% back on gas (and 3% back on department stores if you frequent those as well).  

I waited til my FICO was well into the 700s - and I was able to get approvals on both the BCP and PRG.  

Good luck! 

Message 6 of 13
Longroad
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Hi Longroad 

I appreciate the feedback. Here is some additional info. TU 704 (Barclay 3/21) EX 686 (2/27 Chase Marriott approval) probably a little lower right now as util is about 60%. Had some medical that had to be paid. Will be about 10% this time next month. 2 baddies (collection June 2011, settlement for less than full amount Nov 2009)11 inquiries - 9 in the last year (7 were Nov - Dec of 2013). I was thinking that I might target June or July to get 6+ mos age on most of the inquiries and also get the util all reporting well. My thought was to go for the Costco first and try to get the BCP on the same HP (assuming the illusive approval) then wait until after the first of next year for SPG. Thoughts? 

Message 7 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Hi Longroad 

I appreciate the feedback. Here is some additional info. TU 704 (Barclay 3/21) EX 686 (2/27 Chase Marriott approval) probably a little lower right now as util is about 60%. Had some medical that had to be paid. Will be about 10% this time next month. 2 baddies (collection June 2011, settlement for less than full amount Nov 2009)11 inquiries - 9 in the last year (7 were Nov - Dec of 2013). I was thinking that I might target June or July to get 6+ mos age on most of the inquiries and also get the util all reporting well. My thought was to go for the Costco first and try to get the BCP on the same HP (assuming the illusive approval) then wait until after the first of next year for SPG. Thoughts? 

I think you have a solid plan of attack and your choice of cards

Should be good to go at the 6 month mark in June/July 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 13
Longroad
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Hi Longroad 

Thanks for the input. Going to go forward with that plan. 

Message 9 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Hi Longroad 

Thanks for the input. Going to go forward with that plan. 

Good luck you know I'll be pulling for you 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.