cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Optima Platinum....what's it for?

tag
BJ01

AMEX Optima Platinum....what's it for?

What purpose does Optima serve in the current AMEX card line-up?

I know that Optima was their main (or only) 'credit' card offering years ago.  But, it appears that Blue has now assumed that role.

Why this one Optima Platinum card?  What makes it 'platinum'?

Anyone have this card?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Optima Platinum....what's it for?

I have this card, but it's old. Had it since 1990. At the time, it was the only credit card offered by Amex (which I've had since 1987). Also, at that time, it was serviced by American Express Centurion Bank (I wonder if it was create at the same time as the Centurion Black.)

My CL is around $14K or something. It's tied to my Rewards and recently, I've been using to help me consolidate balances and move them around because BTs are no fee.

If I were to apply today, yes, I'd probably go Blue or Clear or something like that. But it's an old and pretty card, so I'm keeping it around but currently have no reason to app for something new. Smiley Happy

Err, hold on. I'm still in my 30s. Just in case people were wondering..."Hmm, she has a card since 1987, yet she has a 3 yr old?" I just started as early as I could. Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by PenguinGeek on 11-17-2007 08:31 AM
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this card as well.  I love it.  My APR is 8.9 or something like that, not bad for a plat. card.

If you want to carry a plat AMEX card  without the $450.00 annual fee, then this is for you.

It is linked to my AMEX rewards.

My first AMEX credit card was the Clear, then Blue.. after that Optima Plat. 

I think it's a preference, but my APR fo the plat is a lot better than the Blue
Message 3 of 5
notmyname
Regular Contributor

I have this card, but it's old. Had it since 1990. At the time, it was the only credit card offered by Amex (which I've had since 1987). Also, at that time, it was serviced by American Express Centurion Bank (I wonder if it was create at the same time as the Centurion Black.)

My CL is around $14K or something. It's tied to my Rewards and recently, I've been using to help me consolidate balances and move them around because BTs are no fee.

If I were to apply today, yes, I'd probably go Blue or Clear or something like that. But it's an old and pretty card, so I'm keeping it around but currently have no reason to app for something new.

Err, hold on. I'm still in my 30s. Just in case people were wondering..."Hmm, she has a card since 1987, yet she has a 3 yr old?" I just started as early as I could.

Message Edited by PenguinGeek on 11-17-2007 08:31 AM

I'm confused. You got amex starting in 1987 at age one and now you are twenty. Now that is correct ?
RP
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notmyname wrote:
I'm confused. You got amex starting in 1987 at age one and now you are twenty. Now that is correct ?
RP

Look at the last part of the OP, I say I'm in my 30s, such as thirtysomething. No where do I say 20. Nor do I say I got the card when I was one. I was in my teens when I got my Amex, a green one. I was a darn workaholic, even opened up a retirement account too (through Amex Financial, they've since sold it off).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.