Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Optima and backdating

tag
DanielF
Contributor

AMEX Optima and backdating

I had an American Express account that was charged off in 2006 and then settled for less than the balance in 2011. As part of AMEX's settlement with the government, they offered me an Optima card and I was approved. The account will not be eligible for a CLI for 3 years, but definitely worth the second chance. My question is regarding backdating. The original account is scheduled to come off my credit in June. Should I try and get the backdating to help my AAOA or should I just let the old account fall from the reports?

Starting Score: 656(EQ myFICO) 668 (TU myFICO)
Current Score: 638 EQ 680 TU08 677 EX
Goal Score: 750
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Optima and backdating

I think you should call member services and try to get the backdating..

They don't call it backdating though,  When you call, ask them to adjust your "Member Since" date to reflect your original Member Since date.

Congrats also on getting back in with Amex Smiley Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 13
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

I don't think they will backdate to an account that has been settled, but it's worth a try. 

Message 3 of 13
jkdem85

I just got my apr too it wasnt backdated but the rep did say I could apply for a cli after a month of payments.
Message 4 of 13
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

The Optima card don't qualify for CLI so I don't know how the rep told you that information. I applied for the card so once I get it I will request the chnge member date.

Message 5 of 13
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

DanielF wrote:

I had an American Express account that was charged off in 2006 and then settled for less than the balance in 2011. As part of AMEX's settlement with the government, they offered me an Optima card and I was approved. The account will not be eligible for a CLI for 3 years, but definitely worth the second chance. My question is regarding backdating. The original account is scheduled to come off my credit in June. Should I try and get the backdating to help my AAOA or should I just let the old account fall from the reports?

Hey i am not knocking you, good you got back in with amex. BUT, are you saying that the government made amex give you another credit card after you let one go into default? Is what makes me a libertarian.

Message 6 of 13
DanielF
Contributor

I don't completely disagree with your assessment but the settlement required them to offer the card because of how they settled the accounts.
Starting Score: 656(EQ myFICO) 668 (TU myFICO)
Current Score: 638 EQ 680 TU08 677 EX
Goal Score: 750
Message 7 of 13
jkdem85

the card definitly qualifies for a CLI it is not the same optima as offered in the oasis program. The paperwork I got stated no CLI for 36 months, however again I spoke to 2 reps now who said you can ask after a month. 

Message 8 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Congrats on getting back in with AMEX!!!!

Hopefully they do adjust your Member Since date!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 13
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Chris123nTx wrote:

@DanielF wrote:

Hey i am not knocking you, good you got back in with amex. BUT, are you saying that the government made amex give you another credit card after you let one go into default? Is what makes me a libertarian.

CFPB concluded AMEX engaged in deceptive and illegal practices against consumers; it wasn't because it believed AMEX should give cardholders a second chance.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.