Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PC or upgrade

tag
Darius1976
New Contributor

AMEX PC or upgrade

FYI Guys (and gals),

You must be a member of AMEX for at least 12 months before they would consider a PC or Upgrade.  Just found out today.  I tried to upgrade my Hilton Honors AMEX to the Bypass one...

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX PC or upgrade

Not true. I PC from Blue to Blue Cash everyday after 1 month of using. 

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 11
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

True to some extent. You cant PC from a 0 AF card to a card with AF before 13 statements.

Message 3 of 11
acb5456
Regular Contributor

I product changed from the Blue Cash to the Blue Sky this morning. Have had the Blue Cash for no more than a week or so! (Decided I wouldn't spend enough on the card to get the 5% after $6500) so it's doable before 12 months!
Chase Sapphire: $10,000 | Amex BCE: $15,000 | BofA Cash Rewards WMC: $15,000 | Discover IT: $15,000

FICO: TU-793 (Discover), EX-805 (Amex), EQ-790
Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You can PC earlier than 13 months for 'like' fee products. AF to AF ; no AF to no AF. You cannot go from a charge to a revolver or vice versa 

OP was attempting an upgrade from the no AF to the Surpass, not allowed with the CARD ACT

Message 5 of 11
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

You can PC earlier than 13 months for 'like' fee products. AF to AF ; no AF to no AF. You cannot go from a charge to a revolver or vice versa 

OP was attempting an upgrade from the no AF to the Surpass, not allowed with the CARD ACT

That might not be true across the board anymore, Lexie.  I have the BCP ( annual fee ) and AMEX offered to PC me to BCE  or B ( no AFs ).   

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 6 of 11
Darius1976
New Contributor

Ok I see.

I was attempting to PC or upgrade from a No Annual Fee to an Annual Fee.  This is what caused the rep to tell me that I ahd to make a year...

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 7 of 11
blk8
Regular Contributor

I get "offers" all the time from AMEX... but them actually doing it, and the system allowing it, are two different things.

My Hilton Honors is only 3 months old... and i get the upgrade offer all the time. When I try, its a big fat DENIED!

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 8 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Fico2Go wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

That might not be true across the board anymore, Lexie.  I have the BCP ( annual fee ) and AMEX offered to PC me to BCE  or B ( no AFs ).   

They are usually consistent with following the CARD ACT. Did you accept the offer? It is not unusual for CSRs and their system to show upgrades but when you actually try it will decline the switch.  I received the HHonors last month and sure enough the Surpass is showing as an upgrade. I know for a fact I have yo wait until next year

Message 9 of 11
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I believe what it is is that a CCC is not allowed to change a customer's account to one with higher fees during the first 12-13 months per the Card Act.  So, PC'ing from a no AF card to one with an AF is not do-able during that time whereas the opposite would be ok.  Hope this makes sense.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.