Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PC

tag
selena
Contributor

Re: AMEX PC

Backdating wouldn't do to much for me right now and I thought about just applying for another AMEX but I don't see any other cards I'm interested in plus I'm staying on my toes with Chase. I also want to ask for a CLI when I PC but my 6 months haven't passed since the last one.

As of March 2016:
Equifax 735
TransUnion 702
Experian 731
Message 21 of 25
axlm
Regular Contributor

The 12 months waiting period only applies if you are trying to convert to a card with a higher  AF. All lenders are required to wait a year before they can increase your initial fees, as per Credit Card Act.

I was recently trying to convert my Amex Blue to BCE or BCP (yes, I applied for the wrong product, too), and the representative on the chat confirmed no BCP until my 13th month. Also there were no offers for BCE, but she was trying really hard to get me to accept a conversion to ED, which I didn't want. This was 2 months after opening my account, so provided the AF is the same, you can convert really quick if they have the offer in their systems.

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 22 of 25
Littlewing745
Contributor

@axlm wrote:

The 12 months waiting period only applies if you are trying to convert to a card with a higher  AF. All lenders are required to wait a year before they can increase your initial fees, as per Credit Card Act.

I was recently trying to convert my Amex Blue to BCE or BCP (yes, I applied for the wrong product, too), and the representative on the chat confirmed no BCP until my 13th month. Also there were no offers for BCE, but she was trying really hard to get me to accept a conversion to ED, which I didn't want. This was 2 months after opening my account, so provided the AF is the same, you can convert really quick if they have the offer in their systems.

Yep, this. I actually just tried the same (have the Plenti card, and it is "Plenti" terrible), and I was told 12 months waiting for an "upgrade" and only 3 months for a "product change." You'd be better off asking about this on the secure chat, actually; I find that on the phone, it's easy for them to use different terms without noticing. On the secure chat, my CSRs (I spoke to more than one to confirm) were *very* careful to use the term upgrade when saying 12 months.

If the offer is available to you after a few months - 2-3 statements - you can PC to another product. There are limitations (co-branded, for example), but some options will exist. Hope that helps.

Message 23 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Just chatted with Amex... 12 Months.  Here is the Chat log.. Tried to PC from Delta to SPG (lower annual fee on SPG and got this)

Maurice
John Doe, I did check your account but did not see the option available for change the product.
Maurice
Because...
Maurice
Your Delta card was opened in December 2014
Maurice
For Change the product, account must be 12 months old.

Anyways, from the horses mouth.. Maybe YMMV vary, he stated I could apply for the SPG, but not available to PC until December and then it would be guranteed or so he stated.

Message 24 of 25
Littlewing745
Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Just chatted with Amex... 12 Months.  Here is the Chat log.. Tried to PC from Delta to SPG (lower annual fee on SPG and got this)

Maurice
John Doe, I did check your account but did not see the option available for change the product.
Maurice
Because...
Maurice
Your Delta card was opened in December 2014
Maurice
For Change the product, account must be 12 months old.

Anyways, from the horses mouth.. Maybe YMMV vary, he stated I could apply for the SPG, but not available to PC until December and then it would be guranteed or so he stated.

The feeling I'm getting is that they'd rather not be bothered with people PC'ing before 12 months, so unless you have an offer, they give you that standard line. If there had been an offer available to you, I don't believe they'd have minded product changing - not upgrading - you then and there. It's very subtle, but eh...so is everything else in this crazy credit game.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.