Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PLATINUM 5X AIRFARE UPDATE

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM 5X AIRFARE UPDATE

@Anonymous wrote:
Ibmfad7.. people like you already have the Plat card since you travel so much.. but what chase did was get non "credit card people" and non frequent travelers to app for their $450 af card. Doing 5X on airfare ONLY will not attract the masses like the C$R did.

You are right but I am sure of the fact that 100K bonus is the biggest reason why so many people are flocking to CSR. Plat still offers better value for travelers with it's lounge access.

Message 41 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seemed boring in the card world but this will up the ante! Pulling out my chair, beer and popcorn as we may have another myfico run (reminds me of the salmon runs in Alaska) Smiley Happy
Message 42 of 83
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Message 43 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

And with this update, AMEX continues to swirl down the drain. Can't wait to see how much the stock drops after their announcment. 

Message 44 of 83
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And with this update, AMEX continues to swirl down the drain. Can't wait to see how much the stock drops after their announcment. 

Amex isn't swirling down the drain and this announcement will not effect their stock at all.  

Plat is still a great card and to a small point it's good that they are giving an additional spend point boost to existing card holders rather than rolling out a new product and making everyone apply.   There is nothing wrong with making something better.

Hey if Amex isn't for you that's okay, but I have nothing bad to say about them.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 45 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why this is so bad.  Yeah, the whole point of using MR is to pay for airfare, but what happens when you use all your MR?  Gotta get more.  So now the next time you pay for airfare, having 5X MR incentive to use the card is nice.  Have to use the card to get more MR, correct?  I realize the Plat isn't the only card to get MR, but getting 5X, now it IS the only Amex card giving that many MR for an airfare purchase.

Message 46 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's funny that they think THIS will be the 'answer' to the C$R. Oh my god I'm a little embarrased for them. 

Message 47 of 83
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's funny that they think THIS will be the 'answer' to the C$R. Oh my god I'm a little embarrased for them. 

Why should they feel embarrased you can't get into delta or centurion lounges w/ csr or have spg, hilton and marriott gold status for the time being w/ csr and amex FHR is better than infinte hotel perk because one night instead of two and $100 property credit.  

Sure for strickly spend CSR goes ahead but not for travel perks.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 48 of 83
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Amex Plat has its place.. Sure would of been nice if they would of done a bit more or hopefully more enhancements are still to come.  Wish they would add say another 15 centurion lounges that would go along way as well at some of the bigger airports.  Amex Plat is meant as a perks card, not a spend card.  Granted alot of business travelers with either their corporate or private amex platinums are reimbursed by their companies they work for so this upgrade for a business traveler is good news regardless which is a huge bullk of amex's business

Message 49 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Booooo
Message 50 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.