Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PLATINUM CANCEL!?

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

AMEX PLATINUM CANCEL!?

So I have an Amex Platinum card. I wanted to close it. I don't have any need for it anymore. HOWEVER I wanted to ask If I cancel the card is the Priority Pass going to be canceled with it? Or does it remain open till it expires? Anyone know? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
plasticcards
New Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM CANCEL!?

Also Do I get a refund or partial refund of the $450 member fee If I close it 3 months before my anual is due? 

Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

YOu should get a sort of pro-rated refund, not sure exactly how that is calculated, but you should get some back.

Don't know about priority pass.    I would ask, and then you can decide, if necessary, whether keeping PP for three months is worth more than the AF refund.  But maybe you keep it anyway.

Message 3 of 7
newUser0
Established Contributor

I believe they will refund you some amount. This may be less.

Does any one know the difference between PP and Lounge club Pass?

Message 4 of 7
jd352
Regular Contributor

I found this on the website: "Additionally, you acknowledge and agree that American Express will verify your Card account number and provide updated Card account information to Priority Pass from time to time. Priority Pass will use this information to fulfill on the Priority Pass Select program and may use this information for marketing related to the program. Once enrolled, Platinum Card members in good standing may access participating Priority Pass Select lounges by presenting your Priority Pass Select card and airline boarding pass."

I assume if you cancel, you are no longer in "good standing". I also would expect Amex to notify Priority Pass of your account cancellation. Thus, leading to cancellation of Priority Pass. Since Priority Pass is a feature of the card, and not something that is directly paid for, your Priority Pass will be cancelled and all you will receive is a prorated Platinum fee.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 5 of 7
dilettante
Established Contributor

I've read that they do pro-rate AF but not sure how it's calculated. I may be cancelling my card later when the AF is due unless they add some benefits to replace the lost ones soon. I'm on waived AF this year so will assess later.

PP gets cancelled immediately. When they swipe your card at the lounge, it will no longer show a cc connected to it, so you won't get free access.

@newUser0 wrote:

I believe they will refund you some amount. This may be less.

Does any one know the difference between PP and Lounge club Pass?

If you mean PP Select from Amex, the difference between that and Lounge Club is that PP Select has more lounges in the program 600 vs. Lounge Club's 350.  They are owned by the same company so all the lounges available through Lounge Club are also available through PP.

However, different levels of PP membership (which would include some UA club locations) can be purchased by anyone but Lounge Club membership is usually given as a benefit from CCC's (especially Chase) or other businesses and cannot be purchased by individuals.

Message 6 of 7
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

@plasticcards wrote:

So I have an Amex Platinum card. I wanted to close it. I don't have any need for it anymore. HOWEVER I wanted to ask If I cancel the card is the Priority Pass going to be canceled with it? Or does it remain open till it expires? Anyone know? Thanks. 

Your Priority Pass will be cancelled after your Platimum has been cancelled. You will receive a letter from Priority Pass with an option to continue the membership

with an annual fee (don't recall how much it was).

Hope this helps!

CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.