Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX POINTS RACK UP QUESTIONS.

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX POINTS RACK UP QUESTIONS.

How soon do point transfers to FF programs take effect after clicking to do so on the website?

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 11 of 19
Open123
Super Contributor

@mojobones89 wrote:

mind explaining how redeeming points for air tickets works?

if my promotion is 2k within the first 3 months for the 25k points,is that all i will get or will also add points seperately for the 2k spent on top of the 25k bonus?

You'll receive the 25K MR + whatever points accrued with your $2K spend.  For example, let's say you spent $2K on Airlines--your points would be 25K (bonus for spending $2K) + 6K (3X spending on airfare) for a total of 31K points.

The best way to redeem is decide where you want to go and what cabin class you prefer.  If you prefer Europe, then find those carriers offering the best points redemptions for your route and cabin preference.  Don't transfer the points (since MRs post instantly) until you are ready to redeem for a specific flight, since Amex has bonus transfers all the time.

Also, be mindful of fuel and surchages.  It's a good idea to sign up for all FF programs available in MR and link them up!

Message 12 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

In my case it was immediate

@Mailak wrote:

How soon do point transfers to FF programs take effect after clicking to do so on the website?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 19
mojobones89
Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mojobones89 wrote:

if my promotion is 2k within the first 3 months for the 25k points,is that all i will get or will also add points seperately for the 2k spent on top of the 25k bonus?

You'll receive the 25K MR + whatever points accrued with your $2K spend.  For example, let's say you spent $2K on Airlines--your points would be 25K (bonus for spending $2K) + 6K (3X spending on airfare) for a total of 31K points.

The best way to redeem is decide where you want to go and what cabin class you prefer.  If you prefer Europe, then find those carriers offering the best points redemptions for your route and cabin preference.  Don't transfer the points (since MRs post instantly) until you are ready to redeem for a specific flight, since Amex has bonus transfers all the time.

Also, be mindful of fuel and surchages.  It's a good idea to sign up for all FF programs available in MR and link them up!

i havent really messed with any of that cus i dont want to end up messing something up,are they free or do you have to pay for them?

Message 14 of 19
mojobones89
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@mojobones89 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Anywhere from 4k to 12k points in a month depending on spending and catagories of spending.   My spending fluctuates from month to month based on business travel requirements....

I recently redeemed for two free airline tickets for my friend and her daughter to come see us  from new orleans to tulsa, round trip Smiley Very Happy 

To redeem for tickets, the best way is to transfer those points to miles on a transfer partner such as British Airways, or CanadaAirs Aeroplan.

Then, you can redeem those loyalty miles for plane tickets.

The points totals are each added seperately.  After your new bill statement cuts, all of the points from the previous billing cycle will show as "Pending" .... They stay pending for about a month before they are credited...  You can call Membership Rewards to have them un-pending.  

Also, if you need help getting transfer partner accounts linked, you can call Membership Rewards and they will be happy to link your transfer partner account, as well as process the transfer order.

so it normally takes a month for them to unpend?how many times can i call for them to UNPEND?

Message 15 of 19
Open123
Super Contributor

@mojobones89 wrote:

i havent really messed with any of that cus i dont want to end up messing something up,are they free or do you have to pay for them?

All free!  

Except for the cost of time and effort to actually sign up and link them.

Message 16 of 19
mojobones89
Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@mojobones89 wrote:

All free!  

and im guessing i go to the website to do this?

btw what is that term travelers.....something

i kept reading post of people mentioning to make sure to apply for it,i thinks its something about foreign traveling.

as you can tell,im still new with amexi just spend and pay the bill.

Message 17 of 19
Open123
Super Contributor

@mojobones89 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@mojobones89 wrote:

All free!  

and im guessing i go to the website to do this?

btw what is that term travelers.....something

i kept reading post of people mentioning to make sure to apply for it,i thinks its something about foreign traveling.

as you can tell,im still new with amexi just spend and pay the bill.

Here's how I do it.  

I don't like using points.com or other sites which combines everything for you.  I prefer to sign in to each individual FF site and/or credit and manage it on my own with different logons and passwords.  It's easy for me to keep track, but I can where it's more difficult for others.  Actually, I have a an almost exact idea how many miles and points I have in just about every program, along with the ideal redemptions values.

I suspect, once you start signing up and looking at redemptions, you'll develope a list of programs that are the best for you.

Message 18 of 19
JP82
New Visitor

I used to love using my American Express cards, I used to push through a couple thousand a month. First came the excise taxes to transfer to their partners. As much as i hate paying extra fees, I understood its the cost of doing business. Then they lost Continental as a transfer partner and flying out of EWR almost exclusively it was a big deal but I could live with that. Then came the degradation in customer service. And finally came the increase in fraud. I know that's not entirely Amex's fault, but it seemed like at least once a month I was getting my cards replaced due to fraud. I would get calls at work asking me if I was in Akron Ohio shopping at Target. When I said no, they had me sign an affidavit that it wasn't me that did 5 transactions for $300-400 at Target on the same day. It started to get really annoying having to update my automatic payments all the time. Finally after the 4th fraud, I decided to stop using my Amex and move on to Chase. I still use my Amex only when I have to (at Costco and other places that only take Amex) but other than that it says sock drawered.

I really like the instant transfers through Chase to United and Hyatt (my favorite airlines and hotels), like not having to pay any taxes to do so, and haven't had any fraud on my cards in over 3 years (knock on wood).
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.