Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG Spending Power

tag
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

AMEX PRG Spending Power

I recently got a PRG and it is my first NPSL card. Once I got my card I checked the spending availability in the site and I was approved for 4k. Yay. I know that if I make a single swipe for 4k It will go through. But my question is , is it fine if i make many swipes and my total outstanding balance is around 3k. 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG Spending Power

Yes
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 15
MT936
Established Contributor

is it possible to call in and ask for your actual spending power on the charge card?

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 3 of 15
Luscher
Valued Contributor

You can do it all online. Im sure you can call and ask but it would be much quicker to do it online. Only takes a second
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've read that continually pressing the button to check your spending power can trigger an FR. If you want to check before a big purchase do it but don't just keep hitting the button to find your ceiling. If I'm wrong please correct me
Message 5 of 15
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

@Luscher wrote:
You can do it all online. Im sure you can call and ask but it would be much quicker to do it online. Only takes a second

But have seen over forums that doing it over online will wake the AMEX bear and call for a FR.

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 6 of 15
Luscher
Valued Contributor

It is said that if you get trigger happy it may call for an FR. Its not set in stone as we don't know 100% when/if AMEX will FR

Message 7 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've read that continually pressing the button to check your spending power can trigger an FR. If you want to check before a big purchase do it but don't just keep hitting the button to find your ceiling. If I'm wrong please correct me

the stories I have heard about using the check spending button leading to a FR, were related to the person checking a large value over 20k, and then making a purchase at a jewery store.  Use the button, don't use it for more than 2 months salary, to further reduce the likely hood of issues, is check spending right before you PIF. 

After you have established your spending habbits with the card for 6 months to a year, it should all go smoothly. I have had my Zync card for 3 years and 8 months, have never had a charge denied, never realy went crazy my high spend month was only about $1k but I do have other cards, and even after the card has been in the "SD" for 6 months it still will approve a 15k check spend test. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 15
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

To answer your question, Yes that perfectly fine. Just be sure not to carry over that much and be sure to pay in full alwasy before the statement date as your internal score may drop.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 9 of 15
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Don't play with the spending ability button too much. It will probably land you an FR. I learned a couple of days ago that that's why I got FR'd. I maxed out the amount of trials.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.