Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG & Plat

tag
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

AMEX PRG vs AMEX Plat

I notice that some members of the forum carry both cards. I personally carry the PRG and both carry an AF with the Plat fee being much higher. So my question is: why would a person want to carry both and what would be the benefits of both?

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 41 of 75
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG vs AMEX Plat

PRG gets better points earning on gas, groceries, and restaurants. Assuming MR points are worth about 2 cents each, you come out on top using PRG and Plat if you spend more than $10,000 on those categories per year vs. just the Plat.
Message 42 of 75
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Oh also if you travel a lot you also get an additional $100 travel credit from PRG which offsets the AF some more.
Message 43 of 75
red259
Super Contributor

@Cherekas wrote:

I notice that some members of the forum carry both cards. I personally carry the PRG and both carry an AF with the Plat fee being much higher. So my question is: why would a person want to carry both and what would be the benefits of both?

You need to read the details of each card. Most likely people keep the PRG for the spend categories that allows them to earn more points on select spend and they have the plat card for benefits from the card itself or other spend bonuses. They are different products so sometimes the benefits compliment eachother. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 44 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the PRG and the Ameriprise Amex Platinum which has no annual fee the first year but has 200 of yearly travel reimbursement, lounge access and Global Reentry reimbursement among other things.  

Message 45 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discovering PRG still. PLAT is definitely a keeper for me since I fly often enough and enjoy lounging in style, LOL.

I use UBER at work, and gets reimbursed for it.
Message 46 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cherekas

I merged your thread into this one on the same subject from a week ago.

Message 47 of 75
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @Irish, I wasnt able to locate an answer but I was sure it could found here!

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 48 of 75
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Not a frequent traveler and prefer cashback, but PRG is "almost" covering all the remaind 95$ AF, without travels, with some perks that come during the year. For example, see a recent 5kMR 99+$ Amazon prime membership fee with PRG. For restaurants, I prefer 1.5-5% cashback options.

I have a 60k offer on AMEX Pt but since not a frequent traveler, I am still evaluating (the AF is very high and looking for ways to possibly cover it with minimized travels) and also waiting to see whether I can receive some better offers.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 49 of 75
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

With both BA PR and Chase UR + Ritz, I have a lot of overlap.  Definitely I won't keep both PRG + Plat.  If I see the Plat comes with 100K bonus again, I'll jump on it and dump the PRG.  Then I still need to chop one from CSR, Ritz or AmEx Plat.  Won't keep all three of them.  I still have 150,000 UR points and 170,000 MR points.  So still need to keep those cards to fully utilize the reward points.  With two college kids at the same time, travel cards will be used often.  

Message 50 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.