Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PRG

I got the AMEX PRG a couple months ago because of it's 50,000 point sign on deal. I'm definitely planning on closing it before the $175 AF kicks in. I was just wondering if I was missing anything amazing about this card? The AF seems very stiff for rewards that their own fee-free BCE seems to match (and I actually prefer cashback to points I have to learn how to use). Do the rewards points end up stronger than $.01 or do any of the benefits compensate for the AF? I feel like I'm missing something here. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
red259
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the AMEX PRG a couple months ago because of it's 50,000 point sign on deal. I'm definitely planning on closing it before the $175 AF kicks in. I was just wondering if I was missing anything amazing about this card? The AF seems very stiff for rewards that their own fee-free BCE seems to match (and I actually prefer cashback to points I have to learn how to use). Do the rewards points end up stronger than $.01 or do any of the benefits compensate for the AF? I feel like I'm missing something here. 

Thanks!

If your using the PRG for cash back then your doing it wrong and its a complete waste. A MR point is worth about 1.8 cents of course you can get much higher value depending on how you redeem them. PRG is a charge card so there is a the benefit of not having a credit limit (although you will have an internal limit). PRG is good for 3x airfare and 2x on gas and groceries. If you want cashback then this isn't the card for you, look to BCE or BCP. If you want points then the amex everyday or everyday preferred card is the way to go. IMO the card isn't worth the AF unless someone is buying lots of airfare. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 7
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Or buying lots of Gift Cards at grocery stores Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

If your using the PRG for cash back then your doing it wrong and its a complete waste. A MR point is worth about 1.8 cents of course you can get much higher value depending on how you redeem them. PRG is a charge card so there is a the benefit of not having a credit limit (although you will have an internal limit). PRG is good for 3x airfare and 2x on gas and groceries. If you want cashback then this isn't the card for you, look to BCE or BCP. If you want points then the amex everyday or everyday preferred card is the way to go. IMO the card isn't worth the AF unless someone is buying lots of airfare. 

Its good for the 50k bonus + 1st year af free where you its an pretty good gas and groceries card. EDP i think is an better fit for most people, especially with lower AF and 50% bonus when you do 30 swipes an month. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 7
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

The prg is worthless card past the first year. I am closing mine before the AF hits i only got it for the sign up bonus. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 5 of 7
SeoulTrain90
Established Member

I was considering cancelling my card once my annual fee hits tomorrow, but have decided to keep it for a variety of reasons.

1) The "Premium Roadside Assistance" benefit. This is a step above the roadside assistance offered on lower tier cards. I am a traveling sales rep, so having this type of reassurance is a value to me. I would compare this benefit to the mid and top level AAA roadside memberships, which cost over $100/year. 

2) I like the fact that I get 3x MR for airline tickets and 2x at gas stations. I travel mainly by car, but have a few flights a year that are reimbursed by my company. I almost always fly Delta, so the partnership with AMEX is a value to me. I am saving up my MR points/SkyMiles for an international trip next year. Transfer rate is 1:1 and I value Delta SkyMiles between 1.5-2 cents per point

3) Honestly, I like the way it looks and the looks it gets me.

4) I like the idea of no pre-set spending limit. Since I mainly only carry this card and a $5k limit rewards card that I put business expenses on, this could come in handy for an emergency.

5) Customer service has always been great.

6) Since I opened my card after 1/1/2014, I'm eligible for the 15k MR bonus for spending $30k during 2015 as well.

7) I'm going to call and threaten to cancel my card just to get a retention offer. Or I may convert it to a Mercedes-Benz Platinum card if they give me a good offer since I drive a Mercedes. 

To each their own, but this is why I'm keeping mine!

FICO: 751 (as of 1/14/2016)
AMEX Gold: NPSL - AMEX SPG: $7000 - Ashley Furniture: $8000 - Barclay Arrival+: $9000 - Barclay Luxury Card Gold: $10000 - Barclay Ring: $4000 - Belk: $900 - Best Buy: $3000 - Capital One QuickSilver: $5000 - Chase Freedom: $3000 - Chase Marriott Elite: $12000 - Citi Advantage Platinum: $13000 - Citi Diamond Preferred: $3800 - Citi Forward: $3500 - Citi Hilton Hhonors: $13000
Message 6 of 7
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Thankx for all the input........I called and cancelled the upgrade......not flying much these days....using my Truck and RV most of the time.  Even though the 2X points for gas looks great I get 3X points with my AARP.   Kinda like the old Green Goblin anywaySmiley LOL

Oops I posted in the wrong thread......sorry

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.