Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG?..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PRG?..

I just applied and got the In progress status. I checked Experian and I got a hard pull. Does this mean approval or denial.. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
core
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG?..

Do you have other open Amex cards?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just applied and got the In progress status. I checked Experian and I got a hard pull. Does this mean approval or denial.. Smiley Sad

If Amex has a recent SP they generally don't HP unless they plan on approving you based on their SP. Unless something major changed between the last SP and the current HP, you won't get denied after an Amex HP. This is how it works for most current card holders as Amex frequently pulls card holder reports. So for new cards an HP almost always means an approval unless a derog was added to your file since the last SP. 

I don't know if it works this way for people Amex has no current SP for (e.g. people with no relationship with Amex). 

Message 3 of 7
newhis
Valued Contributor

From what I read, if you don't have an Amex it only means you applied, they can approve or deny your app.

Most of the time (almost every time), if you already have an Amex and then HP you it means they approve your app, if they deny they will only SP, but I read this is not 100%.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The above are correct. 

When you apply for the first AMEX you will get a HP regardless because AMEX needs to get your report. If they SP you before you have a relationship with them all they can see is your name and credit score basically, very limited info about your file. 

Once you are already a member AMEX can get quite extensive info from your report with just a SP because they are your creditor. That is why they can make a decision based on a SP. 

Message 5 of 7
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

though all the information provided is correct, to answer your question more directly:

If you already have an AMEX: The HP is more than likely an approval

If this would be your first AMEX: It's unknown whether or not it's an approval. You'll have to wait to find out. Try calling them on Monday. 

Message 6 of 7
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Have you checked the status online?

https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.