Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PROBLEM...

tag
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX PROBLEM...

You can do it online its in account account mgt I don't recall it asking for income just the card and cv2 code and the amt requested
Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 11 of 35
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

I always thought you were supposed to notify credit card companies if you lost your job or salary got reduce.

Message 12 of 35
plasticcards
New Contributor

You don't think they will do a FR if I do it online? That wouldn't be too good if they did :/ 

Message 13 of 35
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@shmacckk wrote:

I always thought you were supposed to notify credit card companies if you lost your job or salary got reduce.

I don't know why you would do that. Obviously, if you lose your job or your financial situation changes, you should probably act accordingly and not run up a bunch of debt that you can't afford. But I see no point in inviting the CCC to take AA against you. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 14 of 35
Luscher
Valued Contributor

they have no knowledge of your income besides what you tell them, unless they ask for documents.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 15 of 35
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

@shmacckk wrote:

I don't know why you would do that. Obviously, if you lose your job or your financial situation changes, you should probably act accordingly and not run up a bunch of debt that you can't afford. But I see no point in inviting the CCC to take AA against you. 

+1.  Unless one is in dire financial straits due to a layoff/loss of job and can't pay bills, there's no need to tell them anything.  OP said s/he has 6 figures in their bank account, so paying current outstanding debt shouldn't be a problem, just need to be judicious in future charges until a new job comes along. 

Message 16 of 35
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

Im not saying I would call and tell them I lost my job its just that especially with Amex what if your out of a job and using your card, it gets declined. You call in and they ask for financial proof. 

What do you do then?

Message 17 of 35
Crashem
Valued Contributor

When they ask your income, they usually ask for annual gross salary.  I don't think it is deceitful for you to answer in one of the following:

1) Last year's income (which will be verified if they ask for tax transcript)

2) Give them anticipated income this year

In both cases, your lack of a job recently shouldn't exclude you.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 18 of 35
Capya
New Contributor

I agree with the above posters....  go ahead and use your expected annual income if they ask when you request the CLI.

When AmEx does a Financial Review, they request access to your tax returns - aka last years income.  There's no way for them to know your current employment info.

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 35
azguy13
Senior Contributor

RE

I absolutely think it's deceitful if they ask for annual income and you lie. They are not asking for last years annual income (although we all know that it is what is used for verification). How does the OP know what his/her estimated annual income is for the year if they do not have a job? Being positive about getting another job doesn't mean you have a job until you are in-processed and getting paychecks. 

It doesn't matter how much money the OP has in the bank, unemployed is unemployed. I am not saying to call AMEX and tell them, but if they ask for income verification it is not right to lie about it. Advice like this is what got a lot of people into credit trouble in the first place. 

OP, I really do hope you get a new job soon. 

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.