Did you mean: 

AMEX Pay Over Time Rate Reduction?

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Pay Over Time Rate Reduction?

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX might as well just label the card as a revolver and put down an interest rate instead of saying, "no interest because you pay your balances in full every month."

The charge cards are classics and AMEX should keep it the way it's been in order to use them for marketing purposes. People who still want the feeling of old fashioned AMEX should be able to get a charge card and be able to use it as it was originally intended...  But these cards now appear as less prestigous and classic now that you're able to pay over time. Of course AMEX doesn't have to give a pay over time feature to any cardholder... They just make it look like a card for a person with a below average income by letting people pay over time rather than for those who have an income well above what the average American makes per year.  AMEX showing more flexibility than ever makes them look less prestigous, and it's both embarassing for them, and also disappointing for some of us.

I don't know, I guess I'm just caught up in the old fashioned thing, and you do make a good points about collecting interest from cardholders. I like to see a premium company in every category of item, and AMEX has slipped quite a bit since the old days.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so let's not go down the road of who's right and wrong here. Smiley Happy

(Reply was to takeshi74, sorry quote box is giving me a hard time tonight).

Amex is all about getting their cards swiped, they have the highest merchant charges in the industry and if they can get some interest from their cardholders who want this all the power to them.  As for prestige, I never thought so, travel and perks always came first.

Everyone tries to compete with Plat but they end up nerfing their perks later on, i.e. citi prestige.  Now Chase is taking a shot with Reserve and already underwhelming out of the box thus far, we shall see.

Don't be so sure on the highest merchant rates in the industry. For a smaller business, they can be super competitive. A few years back, they were matching Discover (which was my lowest), with no transaction fee. I have also had friends with small  businesses on a really nice flat fee deal as well - working out to well under 1.25% with no trans  fee... It all depends on the deal tha tyou work out with AMEX as a merchant

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 31 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Personally it is a nice option to have..  I have a work conference coming up which will cost me in excess of 8k between hotel and the conference itself and airline tickets.  Not sure what card I will put it on yet, but if I did put it on the Amex PRG it is nice having the option of POT as work needs to reimburse me and I work for a large company, just a bit more flexibility.  Granted I don't think it would take that long to reimbursed.  Just my thoughts on it or a portion of it.

Message 32 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ryox03, hit then up on chat and see if you can get it pushed through. That might be the issue on mine, just now thought of that!!
Message 33 of 36
ryox03
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ryox03, hit then up on chat and see if you can get it pushed through. That might be the issue on mine, just now thought of that!!

Might work but I am not all that concerned. The only time I would revolve on it is for work related expenses.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 34 of 36
driftless
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Later when I found out they have been offering folks a promo for adding it I got annoyed with myself.  Of course there's no way of knowing if I would have been offered the promotion, but at least there would have been the chance.

That's OK, though; live and learn... Smiley Very Happy

I didn't know that there was a promo either, I have activated mine as well without the promotion.  Smiley Frustrated

There is another recent thread about Amex POT and it is my understanding that the POT balance does not report, which would be an advantage to some.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 35 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh... If it doesn't report, I'd be like "HELLO!!!" LoL!!!
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.