Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Payment = Confused?

tag
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Payment = Confused?

BTW, OP if it makes you feel any better, Discover has been holding payment for almost a week now lol. Keeping my credit limit hostage while they make sure the account i'm paying from is mine. All this happened because i added the account right before i paid.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, guys! It shows next to my outstanding balance, "Closing Dec 29" --- So hopefully I will have the option to pay off my entire balance immediately after on that day. 

@Membersince2013; I saw that when I went to pay my Discover bill! Ouch! "This could take up to 8 days before you have available credit." 

Speaking of Discover, BTW, I clicked "Show me my free FICO score" and it popped up 750 as of 12/14! Woop woop! 

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys! I've been enjoying being a new member of the AMEX family with my recently approved AMEX PRG! (Thanks to you folks for helping me get to it!) 

I've had one problem that has been bugging me like crazy that has to do with paying my bill. 

I ran up a few charges that went from pending to posted on December 7 and I immediately paid the posted transactions that went through as "Payment Received" on December 9 as it reflected in my account. Soon afterwards, the other charges from that day when I did my shopping spree popped up under posted and I was ready to pay them all off. However, it has been telling me that I can not make a payment at this time as it's not required. I am holding a $270 balance with my "statement closing" on Dec 29. I called AMEX and the gentleman on the phone said it's what they do to verify your bank that you pay with and I will not be able to make another payment for 30 days. 

I was told I won't be charged/reported as late as I will have to make the payment next month because "that's what happens with new accounts?" Have any of you folks with AMEX experienced this as it seems odd to me? Last thing I need is a baddie on my report, lol. 

I am new to the AMEX family as well! I linked my BofA account for making online payments; however, I prefer to use Online Bill Pay through BofA and Chase that way I can make three payments (1 through AMEX website, 1 through BofA, and 1 through Chase) whenever I have charges that I want to pay off in situations where the charges are posting on different dates.   

I have not had any problems with my payment strategy, and I make multiple payments  a week sometimes. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sailor; Would you mind guiding me and telling me how I could set that up with my BoA? Smiley LOL

It's odd because I called AMEX two times and spoke with different people and they each said something differently. I guess third time's a charm? 

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous; Would you mind guiding me and telling me how I could set that up with my BoA? Smiley LOL

It's odd because I called AMEX two times and spoke with different people and they each said something differently. I guess third time's a charm? 

No problem! I will send you a PM 

Message 15 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous; Would you mind guiding me and telling me how I could set that up with my BoA? Smiley LOL

No problem! I will send you a PM 

You are certainly free to make multiple payments using multiple pathways, if you so choose.

You do realize that is not going to make any difference for either your FICO scoring or AMEX scoring, particularly on your charge cards, right?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to Sailor Neptune!! 

Just an odd update.. I went on AMEX's website and clicked, "Pay My Bill" just for the heck of it to see if it still wouldn't let me pay and sure enough the option was there to pay the outstanding balance. I'm not sure why it's now working and actually letting me pay. Last payment I made was Dec 9? So it couldn't be a week thing? 

Message 17 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

Likely while your statement is being processed for printing, as on Dec 9, they may prevent transactions. Alternately, and affecting more days in the month, the payment you already submitted was not yet fully cleared from the requested bank, and so that transaction was still "open" and not resolved. They probably can only line up one request for payment for the account and have to wait for that to clear. Any more than one lined up and not completed complicates the management of your account reporting.

I would summarize it as you get one payment request at a time. If there are any delays in closing that loop, you have to wait until they complete the one payment transaction.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.