Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Plat Upgrade

tag
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Re: AMEX Plat Upgrade

very nice, I still have my ZYNC that I dont use! I wonder if I could upgrade that to the plat and close down my gold!?

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 11 of 50
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

I simply don't date cards with AF period.

I want to build my AAoA and no fee cards are keepers in my book.
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 12 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

Really depends. The plat card is a perks card, not a rewards card. Some people are able to justify the AF from taking just 1 trip. The card does cover certain expenses, which help offset the AF.

It's also the only charge card with no FTF.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@OptimalCS wrote:
I simply don't date cards with AF period.

I want to build my AAoA and no fee cards are keepers in my book.

I think that is a non-optimal view!   As others have said,  if card 1's benefit - annual fee outweight benefits on card 2, card 1 is a better choice.  (BCP vs BCE is such an example).  And cards with AF can be keepers if they continue to provide good benefits, and there are many examples of this. 

Message 14 of 50
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

I tend not to keep AF cards for a (longtime) lol
Message 15 of 50
adavis425
Established Contributor

I think the upgrade is worth it if you travel. As someone else said, the Plat is definitely not a rewards card, but the perks are pretty good. The $200 per year incidentals credit takes the AF down to $250. That amount for the perks you get is worth it IMO...if you travel. I do not believe that the 100k offer is available as an upgrade. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. No HP if you are a CM.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 16 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@OptimalCS wrote:
I tend not to keep AF cards for a (longtime) lol

Naturally, the moment a card's benefits are exceeded by it's cost, it should be purged.  Of course, I'd do the same for a no fee card, unless it's amongst my oldest TLs.

Message 17 of 50
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Agreed.

Point in case, I sometimes want to close my hone depot card since I have a 20k citi cli but I won't get ride of it because it doesn't have an af.
Message 18 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@LS

No HP, but unless you're going to travel quite a bit, I don't think the card is worth it without the 50K bonus.  If you're interested in the Platinum, it'd be better to opt for the MB Plat for the 50k MR promo.

Message 19 of 50
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

@drinkthekoolaid wrote:

You cant upgrade until you have has your current card 13 months... only can apply for a new card

I'm aware of that, i've actually accepted an upgrade a few months ago from Zync to PRG. Curious about this card tho, I know its more than likely out of my

league Smiley Tongue But its the Plat. Baller status,

So, not so much the actual benefits but rather baller status? LOL.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.