AMEX Plat Upgrade

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Plat Upgrade

@FinStar wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@drinkthekoolaid wrote:

You cant upgrade until you have has your current card 13 months... only can apply for a new card

I'm aware of that, i've actually accepted an upgrade a few months ago from Zync to PRG. Curious about this card tho, I know its more than likely out of my

league Smiley Tongue But its the Plat. Baller status,

So, not so much the actual benefits but rather baller status? LOL.

That was included with the benefits lmao

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 21 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

Like others have said, unless you travel, and the 50K bonus, this card doesnt make sense. I used to use it for travel a lot but recently downgraded to the PRG.

Message 22 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Eh, I guess im happy that AMEX actually gave me a nice offer!!!

But i'll stick with my PRG. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 23 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

You can PC to the Plat anytime Smiley Happy

I have yet to use the PRG. COmes in a nice looking box

Message 24 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

You mean the Plat?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 25 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

You mean the Plat?

I had to go check. The box the PRG came in had an envelope and a nice PRG book

Message 26 of 50
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

You want NO part of that card nor it's AF until they offer up a 100k point offer.

Most of us have been on here w/ you long enough to know that your income/spend doesn't "easily" justify a $450/yr card - that's a LOT of spend. Nor does mind....

But that is why I am also waiting for the 100k offer next year.  

I don't think we'll see another public 100k offer again, and any future 100k offers will likely be targeted only. The offer from creditcards.com was a mistake, hence why it was pulled so fast once word got around. For those holding out for another publically available 100k offer, you could be waiting a very very long time.

If you're interested in the Amex plat, I'd look for a 50k MB offer instead. It's a slightly higher AF, but that's more than offset by the increased sign-up bonus.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 27 of 50
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Also since I recently upgraded to a PRG so would my AF be reduced if I upgraded??

IIRC, you get a prorated refund on the the PRG and you pay a prorated AF for the Plat, so essentially the difference in AF between the two cards.

I would not product change to this card unless the PC came with a bonus point offer.  I would just apply for a new card before doing that.  Especially with Amex since you'll take the inquiry but the account won't appear as a new account, so the only harm to your score will be for the HP which is pretty minor.

I don't know if I agree about holding out for a 100K offer.  Would be great if that comes around again, but not sure I would count on it.  If you could get 50K to PC, I think that is worth taking.

There are a lot of benefits, but I think it mostly boils down to whether you value airport lounge access.  If you don't value the lounge access, there isn't a whole lot of point in getting this card.  I carry it because I like being able to use the lounges.  I find the other benefits mostly incidental.  

That said, I do try to put electronics purchases on this card.  My wife dropped her iPad a week after I bought it and Amex replaced it.  I know there are other cards that have similar protections, but it was a pretty painless process with Amex.  Maybe it is with other cards as well, but I haven't had a chance to compare.    

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

For the current Plat cardholders:

How does the concierge service work??
Have you used it?
What kinds of things can they help with?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 50
vpae
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
For the current Plat cardholders:

How does the concierge service work??
Have you used it?
What kinds of things can they help with?

+1.

I am considering this card too and I'm curious about the concierge service.

I need a helicopter and some fireworks. Think they can help? (Smiley Very Happy I'm actually mostly serious here, lol)

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.