Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Plat Upgrade

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Plat Upgrade

@vpae, I don't think anyone can help with that. There's restrictions / laws governing bringing explosives and flammable objects onto aircraft.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 31 of 50
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

How does the concierge service work??

I have used it multiple times, most of the time they were able to get me a table when restaurant and open table denied my request. On a trip to San Juan, PR in May, my friends and I wanted to get table service at the best club in town but request turned down as they were sold out. I called AMEX Concierge and they were able to get me a table after 4 attempts of their own. They made a Spanish speaking representative make the call :-)

Have you used it?

See above. Multiple times.

Bought two winter jackets from Express over the Christmas sale, the only sizes available were XL. I bought it (This was in a different city). I got back home, called concierge to find the exact size in my city (They called all 9 stores to find the size... I only got one in my size :-( )

What kinds of things can they help with?

Almost anything... (within reasons of course)

Message 32 of 50
Janders000
Established Member

I had the Plat several years ago... canceled it because I stopped traveling for work, and as others have mentioned I really only liked it for lounge access.  However, I did take my wife to NYC and wanted to arrange a few surprises.  I don't recall exact specifics, but I used the concierge service to book a limo service to/from the airport & hotel, and also to get reservations at Mario Batali's restaurant.  

It was one of those restaurants that only takes reservations 30 days out, and of course they instantly book up as soon as they're available.  They suggest calling every day to check for cancellations.  I didn't have the time to do that, so I gave the concierge service our dates when we would be in NYC and asked for a reservation.  Within a couple days, they had secured a table for 2 and even arranged another limo service to/from the restaurant.  

All of this was done via email.  FWIW, At the time I think they had a limo service discount benefit as well...

Starting Score: 593 after SS in 2010 || CurrentScore: myFICO (10/29/13) - EX: 723 | EQ: 707 | TU: ??? || Goal Score: 760+

Amex PRG (NPSL) | Discover - AU ($16.9K) | BofA Platinum Plus ($7.8K) | Chase Freedom Visa Sig - AU ($7.5k) |
FNBO Amex ($6K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5K) | USAA Platinum MC ($4K) | GECRB Amazon ($3.4K) |
DSNB Macys ($2.5K) | CapOne Cash Rewards MC - AU ($2K) | Amex Delta Gold ($1K)
Message 33 of 50
vpae
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
@vpae, I don't think anyone can help with that. There's restrictions / laws governing bringing explosives and flammable objects onto aircraft.

lol, errrr. I should have separated it. I don't need them together. 

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 34 of 50
enharu
Super Contributor

Haha they can help you with that, provided fireworks are legal in your city / state.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 35 of 50
creditYum
Established Member

After hearing these stories the concierge service alone for the Plat card makes me want it. That sounds like it could be very useful! I think even just knowing that it is there if I ever need it is a major benefit. Not to mention the travel benefits. If I end up traveling this may be a go to card in the future.

Message 36 of 50
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I see it's fee as 250, not 450.

I think most of us make at least one trip in a year, you get 200$ reimbursed on Airline expenses (I bought Gift cards worth 200$ and got it reimbursed in 3 days).

So considering Annual Fee of 175$ for a PRG and 250$ for Platinum, I would go for Platinum anyday over a PRG. (PRG does give 2x and 3x on Groceries and Gas I think)

Message 37 of 50
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

I think most of us make at least one trip in a year, you get 200$ reimbursed on Airline expenses (I bought Gift cards worth 200$ and got it reimbursed in 3 days).

So considering Annual Fee of 175$ for a PRG and 250$ for Platinum, I would go for Platinum anyday over a PRG. (PRG does give 2x and 3x on Groceries and Gas I think)

Just curious if I ever decide to upgrade, if it's a reimbursement for airline expenses, how were you able to but gift cards?  Always thought it was for extra bag fee, drinks and so on.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 38 of 50
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Where do you see that they lowered the AF from 450 to 250?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 39 of 50
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Where do you see that they lowered the AF from 450 to 250?

Where did I say they lowered the fee to 250?

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.