AMEX Plat Upgrade

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Plat Upgrade

@icloud2525 wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

I see it's fee as 250, not 450.

I think most of us make at least one trip in a year, you get 200$ reimbursed on Airline expenses (I bought Gift cards worth 200$ and got it reimbursed in 3 days).

So considering Annual Fee of 175$ for a PRG and 250$ for Platinum, I would go for Platinum anyday over a PRG. (PRG does give 2x and 3x on Groceries and Gas I think)

Just curious if I ever decide to upgrade, if it's a reimbursement for airline expenses, how were you able to but gift cards?  Always thought it was for extra bag fee, drinks and so on.

That's what the T & C says but even Airline Gift cards get reimbursed. Call it a flaw of the system. I got 200$ back for American Airlines gift cards.

Flyer talk has whole threads devoted to this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300452-200-airline-fee-reimburse...

Message 41 of 50
ibmrad7
Established Contributor
Message 42 of 50
withaspark
Contributor

Regarding the usefulness of the Platinum concierge, there have been a number of discussions about whether it's any better than Visa's concierge service--see this discussion http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Visa-Signature-vs-Amex-Platinum-Concierge-Warning-Semi-... . Maybe this isn't a key differentiator of the AMEX Platinum anymore. There's many of these stories all over the web that often suggest the Visa Signature Concierge is at least comparable...and cheaper.

Message 43 of 50
vpae
Established Contributor

@withaspark wrote:

Regarding the usefulness of the Platinum concierge, there have been a number of discussions about whether it's any better than Visa's concierge service--see this discussion http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Visa-Signature-vs-Amex-Platinum-Concierge-Warning-Semi-... . Maybe this isn't a key differentiator of the AMEX Platinum anymore. There's many of these stories all over the web that often suggest the Visa Signature Concierge is at least comparable...and cheaper.

Thanks for the link, that was a very interesting read. Will have to think about this one a bit more now.

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 44 of 50
withaspark
Contributor

@vpae wrote:

@withaspark wrote:

Thanks for the link, that was a very interesting read. Will have to think about this one a bit more now.

My pleasure! Like the other posters already said...it probably really does come down to if you value the lounge access at more than $250/year...that and the fact that an AMEX Platinum is just that cool Smiley Happy if you're into that kind of stuff...unless it's just for the signup bonus of course.

Message 45 of 50
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

FYI ~ LS pulled the trigger: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-Platinum-Card-PC-Success/m-p/2297663
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 46 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

Here's a good read:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/01/amex-platinum-cardholders-update-your-200-airline-credit-choice-by-j...

Hi Ibmrad7!!

I have a few questions on these GC purchases being able to get refunded.

-Is it still good on United???

-All I have to do is buy United GC's from their spots in an airport?

I'm kinda confused on how to do that.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 47 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

You can order them online.  There are no assurances it will work, but it seems to work 99% of the time.  As an added caution, most order them in $50 - $100 increments spread out over a few months.

Are you planning to use them?  If not, you can choose Jet Blue.  Cardpool is paying $85 ($4 cashback if through topcashback) for a $100 Jet Blue GC.  You can recoup $340 in cash by the time your annual fee is due again.

Message 48 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

You can order them online.  There are no assurances it will work, but it seems to work 99% of the time.  As an added caution, most order them in $50 - $100 increments spread out over a few months.

Are you planning to use them?  If not, you can choose Jet Blue.  Cardpool is paying $85 ($4 cashback if through topcashback) for a $100 Jet Blue GC.  You can recoup $340 in cash by the time your annual fee is due again.

Like $50 a month for 4 months? Would it refund at once or $50 a month?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 49 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Like $50 a month for 4 months? Would it refund at once or $50 a month?

It'll give you an automated statement credit per statement in which the charge occured.  Since the T&C excludes GCs for the statement credit, the hope is by charging $50 or $100 increments is to avoid detection and trigger the automated credit.

So, if you charged $50 on 4 consecutive days, you'll just receive a $200 statement credit when the statement closes.  Then, on Jan 1st, you can select another airline or continue with the one you've chosen for an additional $200 credit.

Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.