Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Plat

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

AMEX Plat

I opened the AMEX plat for a 100k sign up bonus back in January.

When I opened the account, I felt I would likely close it after a year.

That year is coming to an end and I am trying to decide if I want to use it.

The lounge access has been great and I have used it at least once a month. I have access to USO's, prior to getting lounge access that is where I went. 

I received the $200 airline credit shortly after opening the account, so that is a nice perk.

$450 is a lot for an AF.

Spend the $450 or save some cash?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Plat

IMO, I like my AMEX Platinum and it's well-worth the fee.  So, $450 is relative.  Ultimately, the perks are the great benefit of having this card.  But if you can't afford it, then this is a matter of personal preference.

Message 2 of 5
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

With the $200 airline credit it basically becomes a $250 annual fee card, if you are using the lounge access 12 times a year that makes it about $20 per lounge access.  If I used it that much and AMEX would let me have the card I would keep it, but how important is the lounge access to you.  Not speaking of the other perks. IMO you use it enough to justify the cost, but it is ultimately your opinion that counts.

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 3 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I really don't ever use the card for purchases. $20 per visit for lounge access seems like a good value. They are usually able to get me better seats on the plane, that's worth $20 on it's own.

Still got a few more month's to decide, but I guess I am leaning towards keeping it.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 5
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I really don't ever use the card for purchases. $20 per visit for lounge access seems like a good value. They are usually able to get me better seats on the plane, that's worth $20 on it's own.

Still got a few more month's to decide, but I guess I am leaning towards keeping it.

Just to clairify I did not mean use it as in making purchases but as in using the benefits.  But a few months should be plenty of time to make up your mind.

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.