Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum Hard Pull raised Experian 45 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Platinum Hard Pull raised Experian 45 points

So I applied for the AMEX Platinum personal on January 1st and myFICO sent me an email today saying that I had a new hard inquiry. I logged in to see how much yet another inquiry would ding my score. To my surprise it gave me a 45 point jump... Never heard of this before, but my scores also saw another smaller jump on all three bureaus when I opened a personal Barclay US Airways card two weeks prior. Apparently I finally hit the bottom of all my 14 new accounts opening and now everytime I open a new one I will see a hike! Very strange. Anyone experience this before?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum Hard Pull raised Experian 45 points

Doubtful the inq itself raised your score. It just happened to coincide with other things happening.
Message 2 of 7
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

The increase in points could be a result of your accounts are a year older...goodbye 2014, hello 2015.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is AAoA calculated by calendar year or actualy date of account opening? All but one of my accounts is only 2 months old at the most. 

Message 4 of 7
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is AAoA calculated by calendar year or actualy date of account opening? All but one of my accounts is only 2 months old at the most. 

I was making an assumption since you didn't provide any background...sorry to possibly get your hopes up.  To answer your question, accounts age by date of account opening.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries, I wasn't too worried why my score jumped, as long as it did. It's not like it went well above where it should be, I saw some brutality ensue after opening all these new accounts. I just assumed that with sub 1% utilization on my cards and making new payments on time it is normalizing back to where it was pre-app o rama. Just thought it was funny that myFICO made it seem as though my new inquiry was responsible for 45 point hike. 

Message 6 of 7
boosnark
Contributor

I got a hard pull from Capital One after an approved credit card but my score was raised anyway (19 points) because at the same reporting date my credit increased, also corresponding to a lower utilization.

Gardening until November 1, 2023
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.