Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum - I'm very confused

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum - I'm very confused

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you - and then what benefit does linking all my rewards accounts have?  So I can transfer AMEX points to those?  Do I get any benefit if I stay at a hotel, like a Hilton, that my rewards number is linked to the AMEX card?

If you don't already have Gold status, you should click through the links in your Amex acount to add your Starwood and Hilton accounts.  Linking Marriott to Starwood will then give you Gold status throughout the entire Marriott/Ritz-Carlton/Starwood portfolio.  An important note about hotels, though.  If you book through Amex for the MR point multiplier rather than directly through the hotel websites, they may or may not honor your status at checkin.

AMEX travel, like most travel sites, should allow you to enter all your loyalty program numbers and pass those through with the reservation. 

There is also the option to contact the hotel after booking to ensure they have your loyalty info. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

TPG article: Most major hotel chains — including Hilton, Marriott, Starwood and IHG — won’t award points or honor elite benefits when you’ve booked your stay with an online travel agency or booking portal.

Message 22 of 24
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

TPG article: Most major hotel chains — including Hilton, Marriott, Starwood and IHG — won’t award points or honor elite benefits when you’ve booked your stay with an online travel agency or booking portal.

Yeah, kinda crappy, but I've seen this firsthand.  I imagine the travel portal may be banking that loyalty bonus for themselves.  Amex passes some of that on to you in the form of 2X MR points.

Message 23 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

5X for Platinum now, but for me that doesn't outweigh the guaranteed combination of Marriott lounge access, breakfast for family, free enhanced wifi, and Marriott points. Plus it's prepaid and I generally like the flexibility to cancel if something comes up. Using the SPG card to pay more than recoups the MR points.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.