Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum card

tag
Weights
Regular Contributor

AMEX Platinum card

I apologize if there's been similar threads on this topic in the recent past, but was hoping for some good advice.  I've had the AMEX gold premiere rewards gold card for about a year now, and the annual fee is about to hit the account soon, as my statement for this month hasn't been issued yet.  However, I recently received an offer in the mail from AMEX to upgrade my card to the platinum.  

Obviously, the $450 AF has caused me to really wonder whether it's worth doing or not, especially since some benefits were recently lost.  Routinely, I only spend somewhere b/t $1-$2k a month on credit cards, always PIF, on just normal basic things, like utilities, groceries, gas, restaurants, etc.  I only travel about a few times a year, mostly due to time constraints.  Thus, I'm thinking that this card is probably not worth the AF.

However, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this point from you guys.  Thanks again.  

UPDATE: After consulting with how the AF would be billed on my account, I decided to go ahead and make the upgrade for now and try it out.  I was planning on applying for global entry anyways, so this benefit alone pushed me to go forward.  I was told that the AF would be billed in about 45 days, and if I were to cancel or downgrade during that time, I'd receive a full refund if done within 30 days of the statement being issued.  I know that despite the rep telling me this, there's a possibility they were misinformed and I might have to pay one or two months worth if I decide to cancel.  Since I've already gotten credit for the $100 global entry, I'm willing to risk it.  I tried the concierge a couple of times thus far, and it seems pretty good overall.  Sitll not sure that the $450 AF will be worth all this, but I'll take it out for a test drive and decide what to do from there.  Thanks for your avice everyone!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum card

The main benefits to the card are travel-related, such as Delta lounge admittance, Priority Pass and reimbursement of the Global Entry program fee. Also the 200.00 airline credit. If you only travel a few times a year, its probably not worth it.
Message 2 of 9
PowerMan572
Contributor

I've had the Platinum card now for just a little over a month and I like it! Do you fly at least once a year? If so, then you can get $200 off a participating airline (I chose Delta.) There's a litlte trick known that you can buy 4x $50 gift cards and you'll be reimbursed $200 from Amex. I did this the 1st week I got the card and i can verify it DOES in fact work. With that being said, the annual fee is knocked down to $250 for me. 

The annual fee on the Premier Gold card is $175? So for an additional $75 I can have the Platinum card. For me that's worth it! The additional benefits I think are worth the $75.

That's my input! Hope it helps.

Message 3 of 9
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Also, if you purchase a first or business class international ticket on one of their partnered airlines you can get a companion pass for free (plus taxes and other fees).  This perk in and of itself would more than pay for the AF, but like the previous poster stated it is really geared toward those people flying often.

Message 4 of 9
PowerMan572
Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

Also, if you purchase a first or business class international ticket on one of their partnered airlines you can get a companion pass for free (plus taxes and other fees).  This perk in and of itself would more than pay for the AF, but like the previous poster stated it is really geared toward those people flying often.

I looked at this perk, and it really only benefits you if you normally purchase a 1st class Refundable ticket. This perk does NOT work if you're purchasing the cheap 1st class ticket (non-refundable ones.)

Message 5 of 9
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@PowerMan572 wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

I looked at this perk, and it really only benefits you if you normally purchase a 1st class Refundable ticket. This perk does NOT work if you're purchasing the cheap 1st class ticket (non-refundable ones.)

Yep, so one would need to do their research because I'm sure most of the time one would be able to get 2 tickets at a discounted rate better than paying the full refundable fee that Amex requires for the companion pass.  Still, there have been some instances where people have used this to get a good deal.

Message 6 of 9
Weights
Regular Contributor

@PowerMan572 wrote:

I've had the Platinum card now for just a little over a month and I like it! Do you fly at least once a year? If so, then you can get $200 off a participating airline (I chose Delta.) There's a litlte trick known that you can buy 4x $50 gift cards and you'll be reimbursed $200 from Amex. I did this the 1st week I got the card and i can verify it DOES in fact work. With that being said, the annual fee is knocked down to $250 for me. 

The annual fee on the Premier Gold card is $175? So for an additional $75 I can have the Platinum card. For me that's worth it! The additional benefits I think are worth the $75.

That's an interesting trick indeed.  Which gift cards did you buy from whom to achieve this?

Message 7 of 9
PowerMan572
Contributor

Direct from Delta's website. If you Google "buy Delta gift cards" or something similar you'll find the site ;-) You just have to make sure you buy $50 gift cards and not any higher amount! 

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@PowerMan572 wrote:

Well, the trick is actually quite well known, all over the blogs for example!

But for an additional $75, it's not a straight upgrade. You lose all the other benefits of the 2x and 3x multipliers of the PRG, and the 15K bonus for spending $30K, replacing it with a 1x earning.

If you don't fly very much, it's doubtful that extra perks like limited lounge access or global entry/TSA Pre is going to be worth the earning loss of MR.  But thats a YMMV which each person can determine.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.