wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum experience in Spain

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

Can someone direct me to more info about this? Is this Rewards Network or something else?

You might use this material to get a nice retention offer in a few months.

1. Open your Uber app

2.Go to the Menu

3. Select "Payment"

4. Under Promotions, select "payment rewards" -> i currently have two AMEX Platinum and Shop or Dine out, get Uber credits back.

5. Select "Shop or Dine out, get Uber credits back"

Use your Visa card next time you dine out or go ona shopping spree at a featured store and earn Uber credits towards future rides.  To join, go to settings in yoru Uber app and tap on Visa Local Offers.

Done. Thanks!

Just remember that this is just like any of the dining programs like American and United Airlines, along with others,  have to earn miles, etc.  They are all managed by one company and once you add a card to one program it will be removed from a different account that you might have reigstered with.

This is not Rewards Network.

This is run by Visa and only Visa cards are eligible. It has a lot of chain restaurants, whereas Rewards Network is mostly independent places and allows cards other than Visa.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 21 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
For Uber, just by adding my CSP to Uber and dining at restaurants they contract with, I get points towards Uber credits/rides.  Don’t see the need to keep it.

Can someone direct me to more info about this? Is this Rewards Network or something else?

1. Open your Uber app

2.Go to the Menu

3. Select "Payment"

4. Under Promotions, select "payment rewards" -> i currently have two AMEX Platinum and Shop or Dine out, get Uber credits back.

Use your Visa card next time you dine out or go ona shopping spree at a featured store and earn Uber credits towards future rides.  To join, go to settings in yoru Uber app and tap on Visa Local Offers.

Done. Thanks!

Just remember that this is just like any of the dining programs like American and United Airlines, along with others,  have to earn miles, etc.  They are all managed by one company and once you add a card to one program it will be removed from a different account that you might have reigstered with.

This is not Rewards Network.

This is run by Visa and only Visa cards are eligible. It has a lot of chain restaurants, whereas Rewards Network is mostly independent places and allows cards other than Visa.

Oh, thanks for the correction.  Don't make it a habit of making me look bad though.

Hah, just kidding of course. I'm wrong a lot.  Happy to find that out and definitely will have to check it out.

Message 22 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Open your Uber app

2.Go to the Menu

3. Select "Payment"

Done. Thanks!

Yup! Forgot to mention that.  Thanks! Currently not enrolled with any but with Uber.

EDIT: Never mind...i guess it's not that type of network, i was wrong as well lol

Message 23 of 45
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex certainly has somewhat limited acceptance, and they are addressing that - too slowly for many of us, but in the US at least they have made big strides with the OptBlue program.  It does become more hit and miss outside of the US.  One thing I would say is that most of us don't consider the Platinum card to be a daily driver.  It's for the perks and protection more than anything.  Using it for big-ticket travel purchases (hotels, airfare, auto rentals) and higher end dining, you'll find almost universal acceptance in most of the world.  

Also +1 on the GE taking forever to do; my family actually ended up doing our interviews outside of the US as there were no Boston appointments available at all and I know many other locations have their earliest appointment 6 months or longer out.  The good news is that you can always schedule any available appointment to hold your place for GE, then if one becomes available at your local airport sooner or you find yourself traveling to (or though, if the layover is long enough) an airport that has available appointments, you can get it done there.

Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Amex certainly has somewhat limited acceptance, and they are addressing that - too slowly for many of us, but in the US at least they have made big strides with the OptBlue program.  It does become more hit and miss outside of the US.  One thing I would say is that most of us don't consider the Platinum card to be a daily driver.  It's for the perks and protection more than anything.  Using it for big-ticket travel purchases (hotels, airfare, auto rentals) and higher end dining, you'll find almost universal acceptance in most of the world.  

Also +1 on the GE taking forever to do; my family actually ended up doing our interviews outside of the US as there were no Boston appointments available at all and I know many other locations have their earliest appointment 6 months or longer out.  The good news is that you can always schedule any available appointment to hold your place for GE, then if one becomes available at your local airport sooner or you find yourself traveling to (or though, if the layover is long enough) an airport that has available appointments, you can get it done there.

Really is regional dependent.  I live in the DC area and last year I was able to get an appointment for both myself and g/f in a week,  GE is so well worth it.  Landing last December in LAX coming back from Australia, it saved us a good hour of wait time which would have been miserable after the long flight back

Message 25 of 45
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That's a very good point about regions, Irish.  I recall looking and seeing that I could have had near-immediate appointments if I could find a reason to drive to Newark, but for Boston there were none available and other New England locations were 6 months or more out if they were available at all.

Message 26 of 45
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Most of the commenrary on this post has focused on the general lack of Amex acceptance throughout Spain.  However, OP also expressed frustration with his card being declined by Amex at a merchant that did accept Amex.  I'm wondering if OP had filed a travel notification with Amex before leaving on his trip.

Also, I noted that OP made little progress toward his $200 annual travel credit despite making an international trip.  Like me, OP doesn't normally spend money on the things that classify as "airline incidental expenses," so qualifying for that travel credit is a challenge.  The Citi and Chase travel credits are much easier to achieve.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 27 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your overall experience. It's well known that Amex isn't accepted overseas... sounds like you weren't prepared for that! I have a million and one Amex cards and mainly used my Quicksilver the several times I've been in Europe this year as I knew what it was in advance. Most purchases for bonus categories on the Amex has to be 'US' related anyway, so there is no real reason to using an Amex overseas. Unless you're buying airfare, it's really for the perks and that's it. Sounds like you have way better cards in your wallet for overseas purchases. If you're looking for a 'overseas luxury travel card' then maybe consider the CSR as I'm sure it's Visa/MC based. 

Amex $200 airline credit is stupidly set up (this is also known lol). It should be more flexible like other cards... but it isn't for whatever reason. I just get a $500 in Delta gift cards off of all my PLAT's and PRG. It's the best way to go. No reason in making 'accidental' charges on purpose as it seems like you have pretty much all your expenses covered!

As for the decline... not sure about that one. Something must have triggered in their system. Sorry for that experience as a charge like that should be easily accepted and can be a tad bit embarassing for some people. Amex doesn't require you to contact them. They told me they were aware of me going overseas (bought my tickets via Amex Travel (50% point rebate yeah! lol)). The few times I did use it (which was probably 3 times) it went through without an issue.

If I were in your shoes, depends. Most of the points you hit on are well known so I personally wouldn't close it. But if you want a card you need to use over seas, use the Visa/MC's that you have and avoid Amex (and Discover). Get a CSR if you want a travel card. But as Irish stated, don't get the bonus and then close the card. Amex will hunt you down Smiley Very Happy

Good luck with your decision!

My Global Entry took about a month for me and a month for my wife. I was a little upset that I had to drive 2hrs TWICE to what was a 5 minute interview. Could have did that through Skipe! lol

Message 28 of 45
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Most of the commenrary on this post has focused on the general lack of Amex acceptance throughout Spain.  However, OP also expressed frustration with his card being declined by Amex at a merchant that did accept Amex.  I'm wondering if OP had filed a travel notification with Amex before leaving on his trip.

Amex actually stopped doing travel notifications quite a while ago. Sorry, I meant to mention that in my earlier post.

http://search.americanexpress.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3049/~/im-traveling-soon.-do-i-need-to-let...

The decline is odd since my experience has always been approve now, inquire later. Although this is a new card and my charge cards have been open for years so that may factor in a lot.

Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try to answer everyone's comments and you can let me know if my plan will work:

Most of the commenrary on this post has focused on the general lack of Amex acceptance throughout Spain.  However, OP also expressed frustration with his card being declined by Amex at a merchant that did accept Amex.  I'm wondering if OP had filed a travel notification with Amex before leaving on his trip. AMEX said there was no need to do this. The water park triggered an alert which I had to confirm, then was told it would go through then. By that time, I had use my CSP.

Also, I noted that OP made little progress toward his $200 annual travel credit despite making an international trip.  Like me, OP doesn't normally spend money on the things that classify as "airline incidental expenses," so qualifying for that travel credit is a challenge.  Yes, our Delta flights included two meals and drinks (to include alcohol). We pack light so we don’t use the baggage fess either.

Sorry to hear about your overall experience. It's well known that Amex isn't accepted overseas... sounds like you weren't prepared for that! Yes!

I have a million and one Amex cards and mainly used my Quicksilver the several times I've been in Europe this year as I knew what it was in advance. I did not know, so I used CSP

Most purchases for bonus categories on the Amex has to be 'US' related anyway, so there is no real reason to using an Amex overseas. The ONLY reason why wanted it for daily driver while in Spain was to meet my $5k spending

If you're looking for a 'overseas luxury travel card' then maybe consider the CSR as I'm sure it's Visa/MC based. Can’t get the CSR due to the 5/24 rule. Would need to wait until 2019…unless I upgrade but then would not get the bonus and don’t want to do that. 

Amex $200 airline credit is stupidly set up AGREE (this is also known lol). It should be more flexible like other cards... but it isn't for whatever reason. I just get a $500 in Delta gift cards off of all my PLAT's and PRG. It's the best way to go. No reason in making 'accidental' charges on purpose as it seems like you have pretty much all your expenses covered! This is what I was thinking.

But as Irish stated, don't get the bonus and then close the card. Amex will hunt you down  I know, was thinking on just closing it and forgetting about the bonus.

So, what are your thoughts? I’m thinking:

1. Buy $200 in Delta gifts cards? I already used $9 on credits (so $191 left). Wait for credits to post, transfer my MRs to Delta then close it or downgrade?
  2. Put ALL my spending on Venture or Barclay Arrival+ for 2x /$1 (logged in to my Barclay account, and I’m able to upgrade with no HP on my credit. Will need to check with Cap 1 to see if I can upgrade (if better option than Barclay).

Which of these will be better for EVERYDAY spending? Venture or Barclay Arrival +

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.