Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum getting heavier soon.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Platinum getting heavier soon.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm excited for the change. I love American Express and use my Platinum card frequently- it helps me stay within my budget knowing I have to pay it off in full each month. Also a frequent Uber user living in a major city, despite their recent (deserved) critism. And I would be lying if I said a part of me doesn't enjoy the "prestige" it sometimes elicisits from people; although I know and many of you know it's easier to get than many other Amex revolvers. A metal card materialistically will make me feel a little better about paying the AF this card requires and the Uber discount actually lowers the AF for me as I'm sure I'll have no difficulty meeting the max $200 credit for rides.

All of that said, I'm sure these changes are smoke and mirrors when it comes to competing with other credit card companies. I'm fairly confident that they could- and should have- offered these benefits with the same AF they had before. I truly believe the reason for the $100 hike in the AF along with the new metal card is simply to make it stand out not as a worthy competitor to the CSR or Prestige card, but a statement to say "I'm also made of metal, and I cost more, therefore I'm more prestigious so pick me!" Had they really wanted to get competitive they would have offered the 5x on hotels on all hotel stays, not just booked through them. They would have kept the AF the same. The Uber thing? Brilliant tactic to attract more millennials to their card and I'm sure they're rightfully sure that the majority of their existing base isn't going anywhere anytime soon- i.e. those who can afford a $450 card and choose to keep one in their pocket, probably won't throw up their hands at a $100 hike in fees, especially when presented with the new benefits that should have existed already at the same price.

But I digress. I know all of us here are typically more aware than the average credit card holder and will make the decision to reap the benefits and keep the card, or to say farewell because the added benefits and higher AF don't benefit them. I'm just hoping the card is in line with something like the Ritz when it comes to the weight of the new metal card. Also hoping they open up a little bit in the future with their benefits. Though I love my Platinum card and Amex in general, there are other cards out there that still offer more for less.

Was hoping for a confirmed photo of the new card! I don't think they'll nix the iconic design but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Come up with a design that uses an alloy of 0.001 weight percent of platinum in it to enhance the prestigious aspect?

"This, ladies and gentleman, is the PLATINUM card."

Clever move on AMEX's side for sure.

Message 11 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main benefit of all of these changes will be less crowded Centurion Lounges, because AMEX is going to lose a ton of card members. A $550 AF! Really? For What? I've preached that the two main benefits of the platinum card are the centurion lounges and the 5X Airline. I was on the fence about keeping the card at $450 even with that, but $550? What did they add? Uber rides. Half the country doesn't have uber and a majority don't even use it anyways. It's not even a real $200 credit since the fee is going up by $100. A metal card? Free Gold cards that nobody uses? The only thing that is half way useful is the 5x hotels, but that's only if you pre pay through the jacked up Prices of Amex travel. I just don't see how I can justify keeping this card, not with having the CSR which is still a better card but with a lower af than the platinum now. What is AMEX thinking?

Message 12 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was seriously on the fence with whether I cancel this card or not come April when the next AF is due.  Bumping the AF to $550 likely means it is time to head to the shredder.  Also I am in the super minority here but the idea of this card being metal makes me like it less and I hate heaing the constant "OMG,,,,this card is SOOO heavy...".

Message 13 of 162
redpat
Senior Contributor

I'm a little disappointed in the new perks.  I thought they would do something like chase with their travel portal for instants 1.50x for MR redemption.  New 5x hotel is very weak also.

That being said my decision to keep it or not will be until June 2018.  If Marriott gold stays then the $100 increased AF is worth it, you have to spend 10k on ritz to keep it.

Metal, lol!  I rearly use the card I book fights, FHR, Hertz all online.  I only take it with me when I travel, EDP and PRG get all the work.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 162
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I was seriously on the fence with whether I cancel this card or not come April when the next AF is due.  Bumping the AF to $550 likely means it is time to head to the shredder.  Also I am in the super minority here but the idea of this card being metal makes me like it less and I hate heaing the constant "OMG,,,,this card is SOOO heavy...".

+1  Buh-bye Amex.  Sorry, not shelling out an additional $100 bucks for this card.  $450 was pushing the limit, now they've lost their mind.  Uber may be interesting to some but I've never had the desire to use the service.  And I couldn't care less about a metal card...and like you, I just don't quite get the excitement/thrill of a metal card.  My Platinum card really only gets used for online hotel/airlnie purchases so it doesn't even have a place in my wallet; it lives in a drawer 99% of the time.  Outside of that I never use it because I have cards that are better suited for grocery/fuel/restaurants/everyday needs.

Message 15 of 162
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The main benefit of all of these changes will be less crowded Centurion Lounges, because AMEX is going to lose a ton of card members. A $550 AF! Really? For What? I've preached that the two main benefits of the platinum card are the centurion lounges and the 5X Airline. I was on the fence about keeping the card at $450 even with that, but $550? What did they add? Uber rides. Half the country doesn't have uber and a majority don't even use it anyways. It's not even a real $200 credit since the fee is going up by $100. A metal card? Free Gold cards that nobody uses? The only thing that is half way useful is the 5x hotels, but that's only if you pre pay through the jacked up Prices of Amex travel. I just don't see how I can justify keeping this card, not with having the CSR which is still a better card but with a lower af than the platinum now. What is AMEX thinking?

The only Centurion I've been to is SFO. Given Uber's popularity there, the lounge might get more crowded if they get a lot of new customers who will use all $200 of the credit. Not sure which other cities that might be true for.

At present, I don't use Uber enough to come out ahead. I'm grandfathered for my next AF, though, and may be using Uber more by the fee after that.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 16 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just paid for my AF last month..

I don't do Uber so this is definitely not going to work for me..

Digging the metal card though.. Will definitely call to get my plastic replaced.

Message 17 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1  Buh-bye Amex.  Sorry, not shelling out an additional $100 bucks for this card.  $450 was pushing the limit, now they've lost their mind.  Uber may be interesting to some but I've never had the desire to use the service.  And I couldn't care less about a metal card...and like you, I just don't quite get the excitement/thrill of a metal card.  My Platinum card really only gets used for online hotel/airlnie purchases so it doesn't even have a place in my wallet; it lives in a drawer 99% of the time.  Outside of that I never use it because I have cards that are better suited for grocery/fuel/restaurants/everyday needs.

I actually user Uber more than enough to offset the additional $100 AF increase but like many things it is just the principle of the matter.  There is just a feeling of crossing $500+ for an AF that just hits me in a not so good way.  The metal card is just what seals it for me.  I like the construction of my Marriott and CSR cards as they are just heavy enough to hold up nicely from daily usage but not heavy enough to cause cashier panic.

Message 18 of 162
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually user Uber more than enough to offset the additional $100 AF increase but like many things it is just the principle of the matter.  There is just a feeling of crossing $500+ for an AF that just hits me in a not so good way.  The metal card is just what seals it for me.  I like the construction of my Marriott and CSR cards as they are just heavy enough to hold up nicely from daily usage but not heavy enough to cause cashier panic.

MC,

I'm not a fan of cards that prioritize metal over real value, but that's not the case here. You're coming out ahead from Uber credits.

A $500 AF limit is pretty arbitrary without considering perks and credits.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 19 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone who is not a huge spender or frequent traveler the current combo of perks to AF was barely worthwhie for me (worthwhile for sure, just not by a large margin).

I do not think that the additional $100 on the AF will make it remain so, especially since I have no use for Uber, and the small very restrictive 'additions' do not seem to hold much value to me at first thought.

However, my AF hits before the cutoff this year so at very least I'll be able to enjoy it for another year Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.