Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum is going to suck in 2014

tag
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

AMEX Platinum is going to suck in 2014

We are writing to give you advance notice of changes to your travel benefits and to remind you about other valuable features of your Platinum Card.

As of March 22, 2014, Platinum Card Members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges and US Airways® Club locations.

Admiral Club was one of the biggest benefits for me Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum is going to suck in 2014

ouch.....wonder if that is why they added Hilton Honors Gold....a take away one, put on another game?

Message 2 of 19
dpechal
Regular Contributor

Bye Bye Amex Plat.

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 3 of 19
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

I am probably over thinking this but MAYBE that is why the Centurion lounges are popping up (Vegas, Dallas)?  With the "competition" from the airline cards it would be nice to just have a AMEX lounge to go to instead of the particular airline lounge......HUMMMMMMMMM  that might be a GOOD thing.....

Message 4 of 19
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Hilton Gold seems to be an offering because of this reason.. so does no fee for Plat holders in Centurion lounges. They are opening two more lounges in LGA and LA.

Message 5 of 19
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Just got my first Amex Plat 2 months ago, very disappointed by this news. I am in Dallas, so at least I can use the Amex lounge here, if I'm flying out of that terminal / have enough time to travel to it.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 6 of 19
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

We should check out that lounge on the behalf of your platinum!

Message 7 of 19
jumpinjax
New Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

We are writing to give you advance notice of changes to your travel benefits and to remind you about other valuable features of your Platinum Card.

As of March 22, 2014, Platinum Card Members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges and US Airways® Club locations.

So, is it safe to assume that this privilege is only for centurion members - also, it is $50 to get into admirals club, us airways via priority pass!! cheers..

Message 8 of 19
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

I think it stinks anyway.  But, I've been down that road on a few threads in here.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 9 of 19
bribro
Valued Contributor

@jumpinjax wrote:

@ibmrad7 wrote:

So, is it safe to assume that this privilege is only for centurion members - also, it is $50 to get into admirals club, us airways via priority pass!! cheers..

Centurion cardmembers lose access as well.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.