@ozjulian wrote:
Kinda no!lol but I will for $450 less lol

I assume it's the same underwriting criteria

Same as any charge card.

Message 14 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum- is it worth is?

The major reason why some are more negative is the reduction of specific benefits, and these really need to part of the decision.  So, now there is no AA lounge access.  If the attraction of the lounge access included AA, then now not so good.  If not...

Message 15 of 44
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I was seriously considering the Ameriprise offer, but I really don't travel enough to get enough out of it.  More importantly, since Amex is limiting bouses to 1 per lifetime, I'm holding out for a 100k offer on the Platinum.  I just know I'd be kicking myself if I went for the Ameriprise deal and two months down the road Amex put out a sweeter offer.

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely worth it to try at least for 1 year

If you go with the Ameriprise version, there's no annual fee

Even if you go with the regular version, for $450, you'll get the $200 airline fees back (twice before the 2nd annual fee hits), $100 for GOES, and hopefully the MR bonus

Tack on the fact that you travel often and will get to use the lounge benefits and it's a no brainer to try it out for 1 yr 

Got mine a month ago and loving it. I've redirected all my spend to it for now as I decide whether I'll keep it long term or not. I have a big purchase planned soon and appreciate the expanded spending power on this card as compared to my other credit cards (nearly double : 30k as compared to a credit limit of 15k)

Message 17 of 44
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@B335is wrote:

I was seriously considering the Ameriprise offer, but I really don't travel enough to get enough out of it.  More importantly, since Amex is limiting bouses to 1 per lifetime, I'm holding out for a 100k offer on the Platinum.  I just know I'd be kicking myself if I went for the Ameriprise deal and two months down the road Amex put out a sweeter offer.

According to a post on FT this 100k Platinum offer is available whenever you want it.. all you have to do is call and say the right words. lol (see post on FT.) Think there's a 10k min spend though.

Message 18 of 44
ozjulian
Contributor

@B335is wrote:

You are right! I think I will wait for the 100K offer of it do come anytime soon? Didn't it come out around fall last year? I might be wrong though.

Message 19 of 44
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@ozjulian wrote:

@B335is wrote:

You are right! I think I will wait for the 100K offer of it do come anytime soon? Didn't it come out around fall last year? I might be wrong though.

The one he's speaking of usually is a personal invitation that comes in the mail.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.