Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum or PRG

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

AMEX Platinum or PRG

No tapping for a while but thought I would get some input from everyone here. The PRG has 3X points on airline purchases while the Platinum only has 1X Unless you use AMEX travel. Are they competitive?  I think the difference in the AF can be made up with the airline incidental fees reimbursement and the lounge membership. (Although that has been watered down). I can get the additional gas and supermarket points on other cards so I am not concerned with that. I would appreciate any thoughts and insights. I just keep going back and forth on this one. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
red259
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum or PRG

@Longroad wrote:

No tapping for a while but thought I would get some input from everyone here. The PRG has 3X points on airline purchases while the Platinum only has 1X Unless you use AMEX travel. Are they competitive?  I think the difference in the AF can be made up with the airline incidental fees reimbursement and the lounge membership. (Although that has been watered down). I can get the additional gas and supermarket points on other cards so I am not concerned with that. I would appreciate any thoughts and insights. I just keep going back and forth on this one. 

You have to look at the benefits to see. The AF on the plat is much higher and as you correctly mentioned the lounge benefit as been watered down. If you are going to use the lounges that are still available maybe its worth it, but overall I don't see enough value in the plat to justify the AF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 4
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

They're very different products so you should compare them keeping this in mind.

The platinum is a very benefits-heavy card, but it's horrible for actual spending. If the benefits outweigh the AF, then it might be worth it for you. This is a very personal decision and will vary from person to person.

The PRG is a points-earning card and is more straight-forward. If you can generate enough value via spending that 1) more than offsets the AF plus 2) the opportunity cost you'd forego by using another card instead (say a 2% cash back), then it's worth it. If not, then I'd think twice about getting it. As a general rule, if you can hit the 30k annual spending threshold, it'll be worth it.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 4
PointLager
Established Contributor

PRG is a MUCH better card for earning points.  Fantastic.  Especially with grocery spend and gas, likely two largest household purchases.  I've been using it for a few months.

The only reason i just apped for Plat is because i want access to concierge, FHR, and instant SPG Gold status. I have some hotel stays coming up this year and this will be worth it for me.   but my "workhorse" has been the PRG.  

Go on credit match and see if you have a targeted offer for the PRG.  You may have a 50k MR offer.   I took the standard 25k MR bonus offer which was my first Amex and opened up a great card issuer relationship for me.  it has been my go-to card.      In year one it is a no brainer since you have no AF to worry about.  

My current portfolio (not accounting for temporarily shifting spend to meet signup bonuses):

PRG: Groceries and a good chunk of non-bonus category spend (in order to meet the $30k/y bonus target)

CSP: Dining, cabs, travel (just got the card so likely will use CSP abroad next time), UR Mall, car rentals

SPG: regular non-bonus categories

Amex MB Plat:  Used only to book FHR reservations or if paying for travel with points (from pooled points wit my PRG).  if i just reserve with Plat travel i would either pay at the end of my stay with SPG (if domestic hotel) or with CSP (if either a non-SPG hotel or any overseas hotel since SPG amex has an FX fee)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.