Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Platinum vs AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum

tag
alakazam
New Contributor

AMEX Platinum vs AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum

So the Mercedes co-branded card is $25 more per year, but offers some goodies at the dealer. They also have the 50 000 sign up (opposed to 25 000 for Platinum. Not that I will be applying in the next 1-2 months, but something to look at). I have researched it and found that the $200 toward an airline credit do indeed happen. It also says you get all other Platinum benefits, but I wasn't able to verify this. I am concerned about the following:

- Priority Pass (since it only says about the airline lounges, but doesn't mention Priority Pass explicitly)

- Fast entry into US

It would be great if someone with (or without) the card can shed some light if the co-branded Mercedes card is 1 for 1 with the Platinum + the additional rewards at the Dealer. 

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Platinum vs AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum

I can dare to dream..LOL, I wouldn't use it enough to make that AF worth my while, but I'd love to read about others that can.I'll just live vicariously through them..LOL

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 2 of 29
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I believe that it offers a 6X bonus for purchases thru the dealer, so that $100 oil change will net you 600 bonus MR points. Smiley Tongue Seriously though if you make a lot of purchases at the MB dealer it could quickly add up....
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 29
alakazam
New Contributor

Right, but my question is if you get ALL the benefits of the AMEX Platinum. Because if yes, it's totally worth the $25. Like I said, the $200 airline bonus is included. But I am not sure about other things like the Priority Pass and Expediated USA Entry.

Message 4 of 29
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

No offense to the people on this board, but why not go to the source? Just call Amex and ask.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 29
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
I believe that it offers a 6X bonus for purchases thru the dealer, so that $100 oil change will net you 600 bonus MR points. Smiley Tongue Seriously though if you make a lot of purchases at the MB dealer it could quickly add up....

More like $200. Eight quarts of Mobil One ain't cheap.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 6 of 29
alakazam
New Contributor

I did call and, yes. Indeed all the AMEX Platinum card benefits come with the Mercedes co-branded one.

Message 7 of 29
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@OhioCPA wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

Ouch ! Smiley Surprised What is under the hood ? Diesel ?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 29
android01
Valued Contributor

When AMEX comes out with a Volvo card I'll consider it.  Smiley Wink

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 29
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

Ouch ! Smiley Surprised What is under the hood ? Diesel ?

As much as people knock it, this card could easily be worth the additional AF over the platinum if you have drive a Benz. The last oil change was $400, and a service can easily run over $1,000. At 6x MR points (worth maybe 1.6 cpp) it doesn't take much to add up to $25.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.